Getting reviews

SwarmHost

I remember seeing this topic a while back: how do you get reviews from your clients? And most people said just ask. Well, I have been trying that for a while and it's not really working. I have 60+ clients, and I have tried a couple methods. First, I tried an email that explained that if SwarmHost gets feedback, it helps us, but it also helps the clients. When we grow, we can afford to give better deals and better service. The other method was to ask some simple questions about their experience with SwarmHost and how could we improve that service. I think I may have borked that one by adding an additional question stating whether we could use this information on the website. In hindsight, I should probably have asked after they replied.

Anyway, I'm looking for some additional methods to try that might have worked well for others.

Some background information:

We have been around for 6 months, and we have been marketing (selling) for about 4 of those. I think we are doing relatively well, but I feel like we really need at least one positive review to take off.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. :)

You may want to try Ratepoint.com. They can simplify getting reviews. You also have to time the review correctly. For example, do a 30 day follow-up service call or email and ask for a review then.

Another option is to provide a discount/credit on their next invoice for the valuable feedback. We've used this approach years ago, however these days we just ask people how we're doing and they're more than happy to pipe up with information. There's sometimes where we ask for ONLY bad information so we can address and fix it. Hearing how wonderful things are is a nice ego stroke, but finding out what users don't like is how you'll get to keep them even longer.

6 months is not enough for a review honestly.

I don't see why anyone would review anything before nearing the end of a term (right along the process of evaluating to renew or not.)

obviously assuming 1y terms as default here

Oh, we focus mostly on VPS, which is month to month, and secondly dedicated. We are just starting to push shared hosting (yearly) at this point. Backwards right? Maybe, but my experience is with real servers so it felt more comfortable. We focus on VPS due to the fact it has a better profit margin than dedicated until we can get our own DC.

Still, you know those good reviews you read before signing up to a host only to be disappointed? Most people have been through those and don't want to contribute more noise before being absolutely sure. It takes about a year, I think.

It doesn't take anywhere near a year for a new client to sing your praises if you've helped them ease some pain. I routinely have new colo clients referring our services before they're even installed.

I would like say thanks again for all the feedback, but especially the suggestion for ratepoint. I have already gained my first 2 reviews through the use of this free service. I highly recommend it to others in my situation.

Now, I can complete my testimonials page (since I have some). :)