Godaddy? Learn The Truth...

Boricua

MOD NOTE: Post edited for content.

I am new to this forum and I will give you the truth about GoDaddy. I'm a succesfull online businessman and I and many others just lost an estimate of $20,000+ in less than 24hrs because of one post.

I will mention it, however, please give me a web-hosting company that is worth it. I just lost over $2,000 with godaddy because of the following new discovery. I belong to other forum, but I am here to spread the word of godaddy and participate.

You should hate it to, or your business will suffer. They want your money, even when they can't prove you SPAM someone with a website submission form or email follow-ups to a subscriber list. If someone complains, prepare to give Godaddy $199!

http://www.warriorforum.com/FORUM/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49730[/url]

Anyone, hosting company reccomendation?

Joaquin

Last edited:

Since when moderators abuse power?

Artashes if you wrote and change my post to your convenience, it is very clearly there are people in this forum with godaddy income goals.

I'm willing to bet someone here earns money by promoting godaddy!

Moderators, please don't change my post, you are changing my words and NO, ITS'S NOT BULL---------- !

Real godaddy frustrations must be seen. Actually in the hundreds! I'm one of them and very frustrated!

Boricua

Last edited:
Boricua, there has been no "abuse of power" only an abuse of forum rules by you.

If you have a problem with Godaddy fine. You have said your piece, although very unprofessionally, so let it go.

How did you lose $2000?
How did others lose $20,000?

There is no explanation or evidence of this in the thread that you linked to.

In fact, you are defending Godaddy in that thread until others convince you that you should move your domains.

How did you lose $2000?

Boricua, your message was edited and only 1 offensive word was removed.
Blue raised a few very important questions in regard to your experience with GoDaddy that I advice you to address.

Did you ever call GoDaddy and ask them? I think you got had by a spammer and lost $200 to someone other than GoDaddy.

In that thread you say:
When customers purchase from me, they fill out a form giving me their email address before being taken to the thank you page. I used to have a "customer's only" newletter, and they filled out that form in order to be subscribed to it.
So they fill out a form to subscribe to a customer's newsletter - and they had to fill out this specific form and were told that it was a "customer's only newsletter". That sounds like evidence to me that GoDaddy requested:

I got an email from Godaddy (where I'd registered the domain) asking me to prove to them that the customer had opted to receive email from me. Or else, explained the email, Godaddy would take my domain name away from me.

But here you say:
"Your apology[...]is admirable, but does not change the fact that your inability to provide proof of prior consent places you in violation of your registration agreement and Go Daddy's anti-spam policy"

So my question would be - didn't you provide GoDaddy with the link to that page where the customer had to fill out for the "Newsletter" portion?

I just think it sounds "fishy" and as though you've been "had".

Did you ever call GoDaddy and ask them? I think you got had by a spammer and lost $200 to someone other than GoDaddy.

No, this has never happened to me. Exon, my friend....you got confused of member. My nickname there is "boricua", so I din't say nothing of that.

However, few people had been having issues with godaddy regarding complaints of spam. What's interesting, is that those are very succesfull online marketeers. Godaddy was supposedly asking them for $199 as per there agreement when sign-up of domain, or if they just don't pay...they get there domain. Spooky, yea I know

Sounds like spam a lot, I know...but I think there has been general purposes with the post, I just don't , can't say as for certain.

I just have to many domains to transfer, and if I had to transfer it will be a mess, I went histeric.

My bad I guess. Anyway, greetings from 10,000+ miles away here at Carribbean.

-Boricua

Last edited:
Boricua, there are still many unanswered questions. For example, Blue's post:

How did you lose $2000?
How did others lose $20,000?

There is no explanation or evidence of this in the thread that you linked to.

Best,

Artashes, let's just say that I just did, if I ultimately decide to transfer all the amount of domains I have with godaddy to another company.

Let's just say that I own to many domains, and transfering them because of this little issue might cost me thousands if I ultimately reach the transfering conclusion of a domain, it's just bad business for me if I do it.

Godaddy has been also great to me, but policies can ultimately be a drawback to your business if someone decides to complain. I said $20,000+ because there are over 5 people in that warrior forum transfering all there domains...and partners that I know that have a vast amount of domains.

Anyway, let the godaddy fans keep happy, I know what I am going to do. I just hope you guys take the ultimate correct deicision, I called godaddy...and I din't receive the correct answer for some reason.

The best of luck you guys.

Joaquin :thumbup:

So, in fact they didn't cost you or your friends a penny.

It seems like a pretty bad business decision to move all of your domains based on one persons unsubstantiated story on a public forum.

Now I am curious because I have a lot of domains at GoDaddy myself. If domains are not active web sites - how could one blame you for sending spam in that case? Even if the site is active and you know you didn't send out spam (its very easy to trace really), I doubt GoDaddy.com would ever act on a story that's hard to prove...

In short, isn't GoDaddy required to investigate such cases before issuing fines?

Best,

Pardon me if I do not understand, but how is transferring the domains to another provider costing you (and others) any money at all? You would have to pay the same, if not more to register for an additional year at GoDaddy anyway. Care to enlighten me?

Xcel_Hosting said:
Pardon me if I do not understand, but how is transferring the domains to another provider costing you (and others) any money at all? You would have to pay the same, if not more to register for an additional year at GoDaddy anyway. Care to enlighten me?

The only way I could think of in my own situation would be the fact that I often don't re-register domains.
I have a lot of domains that I buy and resell on spec. If they don't sell in a year they are not sellable. If I were to change registrars I would have to pay for another year for each domain.

That is why I have domains with many different registrars. It's not good business sense to put all of your eggs in one basket.

That is why I have domains with many different registrars. It's not good business sense to put all of your eggs in one basket.

I like that analogy, have to remember it for future use :)

It seems like a pretty bad business decision to move all of your domains based on one persons unsubstantiated story on a public forum.

If people commit such an act of moving all there domains because 1 person, the guy should not be listen to never again :crash: , however, if 3-4 succesfull people moved there domains from godaddy to other companies because of 'supposed' bad business...will you care on keep fishing with godaddy or you rather get sunk in bad waters? :shh:

Liar? No...I don't have the time to pull such an atrosity. It cost me $2,000 commision from a local commision here at my local business. That's just one, and then it cost me time to do more diligence on this GoDaddy mombo-jumbo facts.

There are a bunch of people moving there stuff from GoDaddy, so yes...that takes money...and if you happen to have local businesses to survive and live...what do you think will happen...you lose money. I think this is simple.

I hope this was the end of it.

If I knew about this forum before, I will definitely knew better. I think I was late, but it's all good...we learn by mistakes must of us, so no worries for me.

Joaquin :agree:

It cost me $2,000 commision from a local commision here at my local business. That's just one, and then it cost me time to do more diligence on this GoDaddy mombo-jumbo facts.

There are a bunch of people moving there stuff from GoDaddy, so yes...that takes money...and if you happen to have local businesses to survive and live...what do you think will happen...you lose money. I think this is simple.

I'm still missing something.
How did Godaddy cost you $2000 in commision?

If people are moving their domains away from Godaddy based on someone's story on a forum then they are costing themselves money. Godaddy is costing them nothing.

Exactly. Just because one person has had a problem (that you cannot confirm) with GoDaddy, doesn't justify people leaving. Every business gets complaints. But usually, the good reviews outweigh the bad. Leaving is your choice. GoDaddy is not pushing you out the door.

BTW, thanks Blue for your theory. That makes sense - I figured he was using those domains.

I have recently transferred a domain away from Godaddy because I will be running a double opt-in mailing list on that domain.

I don't want to risk having my domain shut down by the registrar because of spam complaint and then have to pay them to release it, even if I can prove it is not spam.

I have heard this tale about Godaddy quite a bit recently from what I consider reliable sources. I won't be taking a chance with it.

The problem I'm seeing is a bunch of misguided folks.

If 1 person moves their domain based on someone else's experience, tough luck to them right? If 3-4 people move their domains based on one person's experience, this is supposed to hold more weight? I'm sorry but I still say "tough luck".

You're talking about 3-4 people compared to literally hundreds of thousands who are staying. The folks moving their domains are the minority in this story. To make things even more ludicrous is that it's due to one person's experience. The other 3 people moved based on someone else's experience...not their own.

To make matters worse, Boricua is spreading things he has no first hand experience of, warning people to move their domains, warning people to stay clear of GoDaddy, when he has absolutely no idea what really happened, in regards to the one person who started it all.

One person gets caught spamming, and will obviously attempt to lie, as most spammers do, and then 3-4 people buy his story and move their domains.

Excuse me if this doesn't sound like a problem with GoDaddy, but a problem with people jumping off a 400ft cliff because someone said his buddy thought it was nice at the bottom.