GoDaddy vs. Hostgator

rocketgirl

I was reading a comparison review and the author favored Hostgator because it used cPanel and had better customer service. They said GoDaddy was better for domain registration though.

What are your thoughts?

I have used and trust GoDaddy for domain registration and I do have a personal account with Hostgator and have never had problems with either. :D

Well, I would definitely attest to the fact that Godaddy's shared hosting is not close to Hostgator's, especially in terms of server performance (2-4 times slower). Then again, there is a bit of a price differential. If the trade-off is worth it or not, is, at the end of the day, a personal decision.

I have used and trust GoDaddy for domain registration and I do have a personal account with Hostgator and have never had problems with either. :D

Why do you keep a web hosting account with another hosting provider... to check how do they provide Shared hosting services...?

Why do you keep a web hosting account with another hosting provider... to check how do they provide Shared hosting services...?

Dont we all :p? Unlimited offers are my pet hate thus I see them as a challenge ;)

As to the topic i would agree with the above, and also add that it is always advisable to seperate your domain registrar from your host, it can avoid complications in the future.

Last edited:
Dont we all :p? Unlimited offers are my pet hate thus I see them as a challenge ;)

As to the topic i would agree with the above, and also add that it is always advisable to seperate your domain registrar from your host, it can avoid complications in the future.

What complications can arise from having the same registrar and host? Does it make it more difficult to keep your domain if you change hosts?

I've seen horror stories of providers holding domains hostage if hosting somehow gets out of whack, e.g. billing issues. If you have your domain separate from the provider, it is so much easier to move, should you need to make that decision.

I didn't have an account with Hostgator ,but once I found that it is quite inconvenient for me to ask for customer service.

What complications can arise from having the same registrar and host?

None if you pick a decent supplier, in fact it can make life easier (support can be more straightforward if it's all together) and possibly cheaper (some hosts provide the domain for free).

It does however go seriously downhill when you start chasing unrealistically silly prices, pick a complete muppet of a host, or get scamed by someone who registers the domain in their name instead of yours.

I will always prefer GoDaddy because of the prices and the customer service. A couple weeks ago I bought another domain under them. A day later, one of their reps called and asked if he could do anything to help make my experience with them better. It was odd because I'd never gotten a call like that before, but refreshing too. He wanted to know what type of site I was building and seemed genuinely interested in what I was trying to make.

Now Hostgator, I know nothing about. I may try them out and see how it goes later on.

I've read many negative reviews about GoDaddy's hosting lately. I'd recommend that you stick with Host Gator (or another provider) for your hosting needs

I like GoDaddy, they always have great prices on their domains. This is where we register our domains. I have used Hostgator in the past but would still prefer Godaddy or my own :)

I was reading a comparison review and the author favored Hostgator because it used cPanel and had better customer service. They said GoDaddy was better for domain registration though.

What are your thoughts?

I will have to agree on your finding. Godaddy hosting is a little confusing to work but the domain manager is great. As for HostGator they are great with support issues but need to work on their customer service a bit, a little rude sometimes.

I will have to agree on your finding. Godaddy hosting is a little confusing to work but the domain manager is great. As for HostGator they are great with support issues but need to work on their customer service a bit, a little rude sometimes.

I've never had HostGator be rude with me, and I too, received a call from GoDaddy when I registered my last domain name. Wasn't expecting that. :D

Go with a most Generic Panel

If you are serious about hosting, you should choose a company with a Commercially Available Controll Panel. Like cPanel, DirectAdmin or Plesk (preferable not plesk).

This way if you are having issues with your host, you can use the backup facilities and backup all of your and your customers data easily to another server where you can perform the restore.

The problem with custom panels, like GoDaddy, is they tie you into their services.

I've recently been helping a customer come away from heart internet, another great host, but with a custom control panel. It took far too long for what should be a trivial task.

Do yourself a favour, if Godaddy is custom and Hostgator is cPanel, do yourself and favour and go Hostgator!!

What are your thoughts?

I have experience with both and I agree with the conclusion of the comparison. GoDaddy is best for domain name registration. Hostgator on the other hand is best (at least to me) in web hosting. As a rule of thumb, or as I've been told by my mentors, always separate the registrar from the web host.

I have no experience with hostgator but I have heard nothing but good things from the people I know who have used their services.

As far as godaddy I agree with the critique of their custom control panel. I find it a hassle to use their system. Their design does not seem as intuitive as it could or should be (imho) and this makes simple tasks more difficult.

They do seem to be constantly changing things and have made many improvements over the years. Performance of their servers has never been and issue and once I figured out how to go about using their system I get done what I need to get done. I have also had domains with them for a long time without any problems.