Goind Unlimited

aeromit

All right,

Yahoo started offering "unlimited hosting"! What do you think? I find this very cheap marketing trick. I'm sure Yahoo "can afford" to offer something they can't provide but selling "unlimited" makes them to look " very cheap"... at least from my point of view.

They can not probably damage the business of other big players in the hosting market but smaller and middle sized companies will loose customers.

What do you think about "going unlimited"?

It happened before when a huge company went into web hosting or introduced a new feature and nothing happened...

The key is that Yahoo! does not advertise outside of their own network. Many web hosting companies have better brand recognition than Yahoo! Web Hosting because they do cover a lot of ground. Yahoo! signs up clients primarily from their own traffic, and I have never seen their ads on web hosting sites.

Because of that I don't think this will impact the industry at all.

selling "unlimited" makes them to look " very cheap"...
Maybe they saw that the companies they compete with started offering the "unlimited" packages more and more so they decided to "join the club". Who knows what they were thinking... At the rate the market is going, everybody is going to offer unlimited amount of resources. :)

It's a loosing battle where niche markets clients are concerned. Unlimited sounds better and since they're probably more personal sites, they may get used very little.

well i think Yahoo! is maximizing its resources.
it can advertise anywhere and put up its own
search engine in the move.
nevertheless, i personnaly won't get a hosting plan from Yahoo!

I think it was more of a join the club deal too, I don't really pay much attention to Y! anymore, its been many many years since I have. Any company to me that offers "unlimited" anything usually gets an eyebrow twitch from me anyways.

The problem with big companies is that they are just making good advertisements like this "unlimited" thing. But when it comes to customer service, they suck. So I will still prefer other web hosting companies other than Yahoo.

very true, Yahoo rarely advertises outside it's own network. I beleive they are on CJ and generate sales via their affiliates which they are paying $100+ per sale. Yahoo has always been a market trend company whereas Google is a trend-setter and for the most part more realistic when it comes to market services.

Hi everyone.

Im so ticked off about this unlimited garbage.

I was using *****webhostings business hosting account and decided to upgrade for the extra perks of their Pro hosting a few months ago.

So now they just basically started giving away for free to the cheaper packages the very things I upgraded my account for.

Then the jerks put a 10gb cap TOTAL for databases.
One reason I upgraded to the Pro hosting was that I supposedly didnt have to worry about space.

So now theyre giving all their packages unlimited space and bandwidth (which I purposefully went out of my way to get away from the unlimited stuff because it just causes overselling).

Since I pay yearly its about $180 a year which was a deal when there were caps on the bandwidth, but now Im just throwing $100 a year out the window since nothing in the pro account is now worth paying the extra for.

Last edited:
Then the jerks put a 10gb cap TOTAL for databases.
While a new limit can indeed be bothersome for existing customers, I do find that 10GB is a lot of space for databases, especially if we're taking about shared hosting.

While a new limit can indeed be bothersome for existing customers, I do find that 10GB is a lot of space for databases, especially if we're taking about shared hosting.

It is a lot for most, but my original plan was to open up some forums of sorts that were like this one:
http://writersguild.web77.org/

On that one writers could post entire small books, which one is already there, and so while that site may not get 10,000 hits a day, it has a potential of the DB getting pretty large since its inviting not only discussion but huge posts and threads in the form of entire books.

It was within 30 days of putting that site up that this new 10 GB limit came.
There used to be only a 2GB limit per DB which I figured Id get around later by setting up a second DB...but with this limit on the total its looking like at some point Id find myself a bit fenced in.
Even still, 10GB is a lot of space for a DB, it could take years to touch that.....or if I were to get lucky it might not take that long at all.

As soon as I saw they put the cap there I just stopped trying to advertise that site because I figure their intent is as soon as my sites get busy they'll just put some other restriction in place.

We're definitely not paying for the top level acct this year if we even stay with them. This has been only one of the things thats getting me bent out of shape with this hosting co.
The thing that upsets me the most is that they started this unlimited bandwidth and space crap that pretty much means Im paying extra for nothing.