Google Wallet for digital goods will no longer be supported after 1 March, 2015

Every time I saw an option for Google Checkout / Wallet I used it instead of any other gateway (PayPal, Credit Card etc).

I really thought / hoped they would stick to it but I guess not. I would have imagined Google could have really expanded this service giving PayPal a run for it's money considering what it sits on (expansion naturally or even by acquisitions).

I wonder what the real reasoning behind the Checkout / Wallet closures are.

Every time I saw an option for Google Checkout / Wallet I used it instead of any other gateway (PayPal, Credit Card etc).

I really thought / hoped they would stick to it but I guess not. I would have imagined Google could have really expanded this service giving PayPal a run for it's money considering what it sits on (expansion naturally or even by acquisitions).

I wonder what the real reasoning behind the Checkout / Wallet closures are.
i dare say as a lot of webhosts used Google Checkout and when they stopped this for Google Wallet for Digital Goods (which excluded webhosts) they lost a lot of business, so this has failed. Still puzzled me why the stopped GC as why stop something that was working. At least with GC to use it your site had to have an SSL certificate which many other don't require this.

Very disappointed that they had to close the service. It would have been a great alternative to PayPal, I think with time they could've even outgrown PayPal. They are Google after all.

Did you guys ever get payments through Google Wallet? I don't recall a single client ever asking us if we accepted this payment method.

Yeah, kinda what I suspected. Great in principle, but in practice it didn't have market share. Probably the underlying reason Google is shutting it down.

I know many hosts that did use and have plenty clients that used Google Checkout, but when Google closed this down and brought out Google Wallet for Digital Goods as Google never classed webhosting as digital goods then it meant hosts could not use GWFDG, so they would have lost a lot of revenue and market share

...when Google closed this down and brought out Google Wallet for Digital Goods as Google never classed webhosting as digital goods then it meant hosts could not use GWFDG, so they would have lost a lot of revenue and market share

There you go again misleading the public by mistaking a lack of knowledge for real information.....

First, Google Wallet existed long before Google Checkout closed and web hosts were already using it.

Now here is the reality:

When you sign up here: http://www.google.com/wallet/business/ you'll be taken to the API info page. On that page select Digital Goods. Fill out form and select Internet, Network, and Digital Media -- don't select Services -- as Primary product type. You can now sell web hosting and domain registration.

I have included a snapshot of my config to illustrate this. Note the TOS below. If one bothers to read it one will learn that the list of prohibited products/services does not include web hosting (see https://support.google.com/wallet/business/answer/75724)

(Note: Google Wallet for digital goods will be retired March 2, 2015)

Attachments

• wallet.jpg
    wallet.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: