Google's lack of trust in china

Pete_Coreix

In a demonstration of a complete lack of trust in the Chinese authorities (as if they needed to demonstrate that), Google are planning to open 3 major data centres in Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong, and none in China, where most of the Asian population actually live. What also makes me laugh is the Google IP, 8.8.8.8 Any Chinese looking at this will see 777. In China, 8 is the number that relates to luck and good fortune - and in this case makes for an excellent piece of techie propaganda lol:devil:

On the other hand, what I love about the Chinese government (and he Brazilians for that matter) is their refusal to use Microsoft anything. The are LINUX throughout all government departments - right on!

Last edited:
I never knew they use Linux in there government :) They rock! Also I didn't know 8 was there lucky number.

Google should def. open a DC in china there's a lot of population there and they could use it there.

In a demonstration of a complete lack of trust in the Chinese authorities (as if they needed to demonstrate that), Google are planning to open 3 major data centres in Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong, and none in China, where most of the Asian population actually live. What also makes me laugh is the Google IP, 8.8.8.8 Any Chinese looking at this will see 777. In China, 8 is the number that relates to luck and good fortune - and in this case makes for an excellent piece of techie propaganda lol:devil:

On the other hand, what I love about the Chinese government (and he Brazilians for that matter) is their refusal to use Microsoft anything. The are LINUX throughout all government departments - right on!

I haven't known about that! But it doesn't surprise me.

That's pretty awesome :thumbup:

China doing great job using opensource in there govt. In otherhand they blocked the way in China to get information.

I'm not surprised Google is taking the strategy they are. They have been fighting for years over China's rules. And personally I think censorship is crap anyway.

I agree Zachary - unfortunately, it's not a perfect world. As the Internet shrinks intellectual boundaries, dictatorships and censorship will pass by the wayside.

I'm not surprised Google is taking the strategy they are. They have been fighting for years over China's rules. And personally I think censorship is crap anyway.

One of the big reason Google decided to not open datacenter in China is because of China policies but as well because China doesn't respect copyright and intellectual property and consider it a way to lower the economy of other competing nation.

Basically, China is trying to hack into google to track down opponent or activist to the China government but as well new technology. They complained a lot in the past about China hacking them.

Being outside China, they have better way to protect themself technologically, politically and legally.

This open new opportunity of business in Asia for people interested. Having google opening datacenter in this area will impact the hosting industry deeply.

Interesting comments, cheers Toordog and everyone else.
This open new opportunity of business in Asia for people interested. Having google opening datacenter in this area will impact the hosting industry deeply.
I think this basically sums it, up.

If Google can't trust China... who can trust China? They do have lots of cases on copyright infringement, from toys to everything they manufacture.

Actually, most people in China use the local search engine called "BAIDU" instead google. So any change from google site will affect webmasters mostly but not regular internet surfer.

China is an emerging economu now a days in the world .

Google should now start investing in China for its own better in the future . It would help Google grow more and more.

Last edited by a moderator: