HD Artashes are Good But what If we could reward ourselves too

cheapdedicated

Artashes have a good gesture of rewarding cents as a gesture when one posts a good question or a helpful response to a post. I was thinking wouldnt it be a good gesture to add a function where if I had a problem and a member posts a useful feedback that sames me hours of research I return the favor if i want and reward him a cent or whatever I may want as a gesture of saying THANK YOU.

I know the thank you symbol is available but am talking allowing us users reward a problem solver with a dollar or less as I may please.
Think about it.

Artashes have a good gesture of rewarding cents as a gesture when one posts a good question or a helpful response to a post. I was thinking wouldnt it be a good gesture to add a function where if I had a problem and a member posts a useful feedback that sames me hours of research I return the favor if i want and reward him a cent or whatever I may want as a gesture of saying THANK YOU.

I know the thank you symbol is available but am talking allowing us users reward a problem solver with a dollar or less as I may please.
Think about it.

That would be interesting to allow people to "donate" to each other. I fully support this suggestion indeed.

Interesting thought. Do you mean you'd donate using personal funds or do you see HostingDiscussion as the sponsor of such a reward system?

Interesting thought. Do you mean you'd donate using personal funds or do you see HostingDiscussion as the sponsor of such a reward system?

It should be out of our own pockets, either with our existing HostingDiscusion's balance or externally (like F&F through Paypal).

That would be interesting to allow people to "donate" to each other. I fully support this suggestion indeed.

Yes Someone that has been saves hours of research could donate from their paypal account a dollar to a user who has been helpful. Its a good gesture and I am sure we would increase the quality of feedback especially with "how to" posts

Interesting Idea - and I think it would possibly increase posts. I look at this forum and others even like WHT and it seems like the activity has greatly reduced from where it was a few years ago - despite having so many members.

WHT and it seems like the activity has greatly reduced from where it was a few years ago - despite having so many members.

I see WHT not to much member like year ago that they was full peoples posting

I see WHT not to much member like year ago that they was full peoples posting

I think that in enforcing the regulations WHT stepped a bit too hard and disappointed a couple. But then laxity would lead to poor quality of discussions so its a tricky line

Bad idea, won't be used, and a waste of Artashes time

[This post is priceless, but I do accept small donations]

As for the idea itself, we discussed it in length and my personal take on it is that it moves our forum into a different business model and brings out the wrong message, in which members become motivated to help others only because of financial remuneration more than just their will to share advice and help others, which is what a community like ours is.

It is something that has to be custom developed and maintained around its value proposition, because along the way you will discover you have other issues you have to think of.

As for the idea itself, we discussed it in length and my personal take on it is that it moves our forum into a different business model and brings out the wrong message, in which members become motivated to help others only because of financial remuneration more than just their will to share advice and help others, which is what a community like ours is.

It is something that has to be custom developed and maintained around its value proposition, because along the way you will discover you have other issues you have to think of.

I agree. I couldn't have said it better my self.

I would have to agree on the negative for this, I feel it would open up areas for potential dubious activity and would reflect badly on HostingDiscussion in the end.

I say keep the Thank You button and let people help each other because they want to and not for monetary gain.

As a matter of fact, I do not like the idea of rewards in the form of money including the existing one HD has. It sends a wrong message to the ones who do not use HD regularly.

For me, I didn't sign up with HD before because of the "get paid to participate" offer. I understand that it's a way of putting value to members that actually contribute valuable information/interaction but it kind of differs from the concept of sharing. You can replace that with a temporary badge and a count of how many temp badge a member received in the lifetime of their account.

Dont you then think even the current monetary rewards should be scrapped because they are not any different after all?

Dont you then think even the current monetary rewards should be scrapped because they are not any different after all?
Not at all, because at this moment the quality control process us under our command. We decide what we consider a helpful interesting contribution. Giving such powers to members might create a shift in the quality of material that is being awarded and move the forum towards a completely different business model that I mentioned before.

As a matter of fact, I do not like the idea of rewards in the form of money including the existing one HD has. It sends a wrong message to the ones who do not use HD regularly.

For me, I didn't sign up with HD before because of the "get paid to participate" offer. I understand that it's a way of putting value to members that actually contribute valuable information/interaction but it kind of differs from the concept of sharing. You can replace that with a temporary badge and a count of how many temp badge a member received in the lifetime of their account.

And I totally appreciate that you didn't sign up for that and hope that everyone does it for the right reasons. I think the fact that the award is never guaranteed and is used randomly would not convey anyone that that is what is expected 100% of the time. We use it as a promotional mechanism to thank people for their time in providing interesting and valuable contributions. We do not use it all the time, keeping it proper balanced and incidental. So in the minds of members, it is more like a pleasant add-on feature.

I do agree with you on a lot of points and I love the idea of badges. Vanilla software provides a totally cool set of engagement tools with their forum, but they lack in a lot of other areas. I've considered moving to it quite a number of times that it became a struggle in a way. We introduced a Thank You button a while back, which is designed exactly with the purpose to thank someone for their insight and/or help. Pure, clean and honest way of feedback.

We'll see where we go from here. When we launched the Paid Post reward system, we had no idea what to expect. But during these years we saw a lot of great posts and the overall feedback received was positive. Member feedback, not corporate interests, is what builds this community, so if the feedback was negative, this program would not have survived long.

so if the feedback was negative, this program would not have survived long.

Thanks for addressing in detail and understanding that it actually affects the non-members. If anything, I wish all the best to HD and everyone that are related :)

You misunderstand the the get paid part.

you don't get paid to participate. It is a reward for helping the community with sound advice

I can agree with you on this now that I have become a member of HD. My concern was actually about the non-members. It can imply "Oh! They need to pay to post?", if I become extreme sarcastic. With all the pay par scams this seems a legit concern to people who do not know much about HD. A successful community needs a large number of members.

I can agree with you on this now that I have become a member of HD. My concern was actually about the non-members. It can imply "Oh! They need to pay to post?", if I become extreme sarcastic. With all the pay par scams this seems a legit concern to people who do not know much about HD. A successful community needs a large number of members.

I see your point. I will think how I can rephrase that line and if I can come up with something as catchy and short, I'll change it so it doesn't send the wrong message. :)