Help on acquiring a domain name...

crazyfool

Hi,

I agreed to buy a domain name from a small company for 1k. The company seems relatively unknown (they have no reviews/info on Google.) I've never bought a domain name from someone else before.

1. What are there any important steps I should ensure in transferring the domain name?
2. The company is asking the payment first. Is there some simple escrow or other method to help in ensuring I wont get cheated?

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

$1k? That seems a bit steep especially if they are an unknown entity. When it is due to expire? It may be cheaper that way. It may be worth the price if you were able to find them on Google, etc. but it seems to me that the price tag is a bit high.

Chris

I was thinking the same thing. escrow.com is th site you want to use as well as some nice tight legal contracts to cover your butt.

The price could be a steal if it is your name, or a really nice url. I mean if someone offered you yellow.com 1k would be cheap. And obviously it is worth it to them.

Escrow is a good option in this situation. A good strategy which you can do is ask the small company to modify a section in the 'whois' details. If they can do this, then it shows that they have ownership of the domain :D

escrow.com is great for facilitating the purchase of a domain name. I have used them several times. Beware of their hidden fees, because they are steep.

Yes escrow is great..

How can you guys say the price tag is too high when you do not even know what the domain is?

And on this note above.....who knows what the site is about. Is it something that will help or hurt the potential buyer in the end. Its good there are no bad reviews for the domain, but are there are good ones? Its always nice to see what you are getting yourself into before you do it. Check it out the best you can, and talk to the seller to see exactly what you are getting from the purchase.

I just bought a domain the other day from someone I know and it came with the domain, and all access to any scripts listed there along with the content to do as I wish with it (blog, forums, etc.).

I would recommend getting an appraisal on the domain.. You can use a company like Afternic.com or Sedo.com that will get you an appraisal for a small fee.. Given the high purchase price I think paying $30 to $40 would make sense to get the domain appraised..

Once you decide to move forward I would definitely recommend performing the transcation using escrow.com ...

Domain Transfer

Hi Friends!!!!!
Here is the one webhosting company That's ************. where you can trasnsfer our domain Free with their hosting packages its very good ya no need to pay any charges.And even the transfer time is also very less i have transfered one of domain to ************ I am happy with the service providing by them.

Escrow.com is good. You might want to have another 3rd party do it such as sedo.com. They take a fee from the seller but I think that might be better for a domain transaction. Sedo holds onto the money until the owner transfers the domain to sedo. Then they release the money to the seller and then they let you transfer the domain to you.

Look at sedo for more info. They are mainly a domain marketplace, but if perhaps you can do a private sale just between the two of you?

I have seen offers for domains in the $1k range and always kind of wondered how they did it to ensure that both parties are happy. I have heard of Escrow, but in a different context (used for housing).