Here’s why you should never go for free hosting

Most free hosting providers also provide premium shared hosting,

You wont find many doing this now. it is too risking for a paid host to also offer free hosting as free hosting attracks spammers etc., which effect the whole server.

a Paid host may offer a few days trial period, but even this is hard to find now

You wont find many doing this now. it is too risking for a paid host to also offer free hosting as free hosting attracks spammers etc., which effect the whole server.

a Paid host may offer a few days trial period, but even this is hard to find now
But this is exactly why support for free hosting is worse, because free hosting attract spammers etc and therefore free hosting has less support than their premium hosting, there is still some premium hosting sites which offer free hosting too, but only a vast majority do.

Which in return makes it incredibly important to run the free hosting operation separately from paid hosting. Hosting both on the same machine is a recipe for trouble.

Which in return makes it incredibly important to run the free hosting operation separately from paid hosting. Hosting both on the same machine is a recipe for trouble.

thats why most paid hosts dont do this or wont admit it and run free hosting under a different brand/domain

1. Downtime
2. No support
3. No domains
4. No e-mails
5. Not much disk space
6. Limited bandwidth
7. Pop-ups
8. Lack of interactive features
9. Loss of content/data
10. May not be free forever

You can avoid most of these drawbacks if you go for reputable providers with free hosting offers, such as AWS Free Usage Tier.

You can avoid most of these drawbacks if you go for reputable providers with free hosting offers, such as AWS Free Usage Tier.

NOTHING in life is free.

http://aws.amazon.com/free/

* These free tiers are only available to new AWS customers, and are available for 12 months following your AWS sign-up date. When your free usage expires or if your application use exceeds the free usage tiers, you simply pay standard, pay-as-you-go service rates (see each service page for full pricing details). Restrictions apply; see offer terms for more details.

† The following Linux variants are not eligible for the free usage tier as a software license is required: SuSe Linux Enterprise Server and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).

‡ The following Windows variants are not eligible for the free usage tier: Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 with SQL Server Web, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 with SQL Server Standard, Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 64-bit for Cluster Instances and Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 SQL Server 64-bit for Cluster Instances.

The AWS free usage tier applies to participating services across all AWS regions: US East (Northern Virginia), US West (Oregon), US West (Northern California), EU (Ireland), Asia Pacific (Singapore), Asia Pacific (Tokyo), Asia Pacific (Sydney), and South America (Sao Paulo). Your free usage is calculated each month across all regions and automatically applied to your bill – free usage does not accumulate.

Right you are :thumbup: That's I said 'most' but not all of them.

But a majority of people would just go for the FREE unlimited hosting plans, so in this instance all that list will apply to them.

We did have a server where we offered free and reduced hosting to registered charities and community groups ( these had to provide charity number and/or proof from recognised authority of community group status) no plan was set up until we checked their status, but we were plaqued by people giving fake/false charity numbers to try and get free hosting. It come to a point we were spending more time filtering these out than we were on out paid clients so we passed on the genuine clients to other charity hosts and took the site down.

Last edited:
Yes, when I was just starting out with making Web sites, I exclusively used free hosts, but almost all of them were not very good. On the hosting end, I've heard enough stories about users taking advantage of the host, finding security loopholes, and so forth. It is not a very good thing overall.

There will always be some or the other catch to a free solution. You cannot expect quality when you are not paying for the service.

I've heard enough stories about users taking advantage of the host, finding security loopholes, and so forth. It is not a very good thing overall.

this will only happen if a host does not keep abreast of his servers and the secuirty of the servers. a good host will not leave loopholes open to be exploited.

"Free" doesn't always mean bad. it is ok to use free hosting provider if running a website is just your hobbie or you want to test something and do not want to spend money on this. But if you are looking for a reliable hosting then free hosting is not what you need.

I started off on a free host. I even got a domain from them. Biggest issue I had was I was very limited on what I could do. No sql, no ftp, and no cgi. I was limted to a static web site. I eventually moved but was not able to take the domain with me. I don't know if free hosts now a days offer free domains but I don't think so.

I started off on a free host. I even got a domain from them. Biggest issue I had was I was very limited on what I could do. No sql, no ftp, and no cgi. I was limted to a static web site. I eventually moved but was not able to take the domain with me. I don't know if free hosts now a days offer free domains but I don't think so.

most domains provided by free hosts these days will be just a sub domain of a domain they own

Ah I have not looked at free hosting in years. I know friends who have used free hosting. Mainly the forum kind like proboards and invisionfree.

For just a personal blog or website then free hosting is okay. But if your running a business site or you want your site to be reliable then you should go paid.

Now I'm not saying that you'll always get better uptime and service from a paid host vs a free host. "I've had terrible service from paid host too" But in the long run you'd be better off with a paid host.

Hosting is pretty darn cheap that I wouldn't even consider hosting with a free host.

And I'm not saying that just because I'm a host. I'm saying that as a former client myself.

I've had terrible service from free hosts. But I'm not complaining since it was free.

Chad

Free hosting is good for beginners though who wants to build their site for fun and learning but if you want to carry out your businesses online it should be paid hosting because it caters all your needs :)

It is for the website owners to decide about getting the best for the website. When it comes to a web hosting platform, it is important to think long term. You might have got a good web hosting package for free that suffices the requirements of your business, however do you think this hosting solution is going to help you in the long run? do you think that in case there is any issue with the website, it will be sorted right away?

It is necessary to take all these aspects into consideration before going in for a free web hosting package.