Higher speed drives in serverz

brybert

Hi!
It is going to me my good fortune to have use of some high end servers shortly.

I'm wondering..why have I not seen this discussed before?

Speed is critical..and I've never seen a discussion of different options and their cost/benefit and possible problems with using the smaller, faster drives.

Now...I have two sets of servers. One has nothing but SATA drives.

Set 1 has 10K drives SATA...and I'll add 1TB drives as needed.

Set 2 has 15K SAS..and I believe I can add 1TB SATAs to these servers as needed as well.

Now..the transfer rates are amazing on these drives..and I will write some software to manage what is being requested the most..and needs to be on the faster main drive.

Is cost the only reason I have not heard more about these? Or are there other issues/problems?

Also...are there any issues having both SAS and SATA drives in the same server?

I know it can be done. The magic question is: Do I WANT to do it?

Bryon

I guess there should not be some sort of issue with the SAS and SATA drivers at the same time. It will not hurt the speed anyway.

I know it can be done. The magic question is: Do I WANT to do it?
My question now is, have you done this and if so, how did it work out for you? If not, what solution did you provision?

Hi!
It works fine. The servers are clearly faster..I am impressed and will provision all servers from now on like this.

Bryon

As long as the throughput is good I guess you're good to go. Usually on an ecommerce machine we were putting SCSI drives at 15K. On some of our other servers we use 160GB 7200RPM SATA's (8mb cache) and we're not seeing any bottlenecks.

I tend to stay with RAIDED SCSI's on eCommerce boxes as there's just so much read/write data that goes on.

It'll be interesting for the future how the Solid State drives play out with speed and buffering.