Host Downtime

Chris_13

My web host is going through some upgrades and is asking for patience but I've about run out. Over the last few days my site has been down more than up. Shouldn't they have a back-up system they can run on so as to avoid downtime? I shudder to think of the business I'm losing.

Chris

I understand your pain, but let me ask you this. How much do you pay for hosting? For a host to have a fail over system like what you're talking about, your fees would almost triple. The reason for that is, if Server A goes down, Server B can take over. For that to happen, you'd have to make sure that Server A and Server B share data and always have the same website data.

What are they upgrading? It sounds like a hardware failure. If it was something failing, I think it would have been better to be proactive and replace it quickly.

Hi Chris,

It’s hard to believe that in this day and age an upgrade means lose of service. Backups and data redundancy are a must for great service and maintaining uptime. A lot of Hosting Providers are using VPS which closes the gap between shared hosting and dedicated hosting, and increases reliability significantly. This said, I’m sure there are shared server hosting providers that maintain their systems well.
Still, I think the advantages of VPS systems speak volumes, providing high availability, redundancy and unmatched reliability.

I hope your up and running again soon.

Right now I'm paying about $40 a month for hosting. I got an email today saying that the would credit my account for any downtime that exceeds their 99% reliability guarantee so I guess that is something. They tell me they are done and everything will be back to normal. Time will tell.

Chris

Communication is key to webhosting business.
Customers should ALWAYS be informed about any anticipated downtime and what's being done to fix it.
A company will get more customers by telling the truth, instead of hiding them.
It's all about the trust between the customer & the company.

Right now I'm paying about $40 a month for hosting. I got an email today saying that the would credit my account for any downtime that exceeds their 99% reliability guarantee so I guess that is something. They tell me they are done and everything will be back to normal. Time will tell.

Chris

Yes Chris, most hosts that have uptime guarantee will compensate for any downtime if the uptime is less than the one they promise :)

I think that web host should do everything possible and impossible to provide max downtime and notificating customers about downtime and have it for a long time - not good way. I think that in this way no chances in getting customer's loyality IMO

You spend $40.00/month just to see your site goes down more often than up? This is ridiculuos. May I know which host are you at?

If you spend $40.00/month with us, we alrrady can get you a server with at most 5 clients only. We do not try to oversell the server space. It's worth a try for you to look at.

I think I would be freaking out a little too for 40/month. I can understand something unexpected happen but the rest are right, if they know there is going to be an issue that might end up with even afew sites down there should be some warnings sent out. Do you have any idea what really caused this entire mess by chance?