Hostgator? Anyone use the built in php/my sql stuff?

shakemelikeapig

I have a hostgator account and just noticed in my quest to learn php and mysql that they have stuff added onto cpanel that lets you do this including apache and all that stuff... does this mean I dont need to download anything extra?

Whats the best way to make use of all of the stuff they have on the cpanel with php and mysql and apache? Im so clueless...

Hey mate,

Well in a nut shell, Cpanel is just the Administration side of your webhosting account.

Hostgator like many other providers give you your own php.ini they also allow you to make certain chanes to httpd.conf.

It will take you awhile to start using CpanelX to it's full potential that's even if you ever do.

The best way to make use of it, and seriously is if it's not broke don't fix it.

Usually people upload their files and alter these settings to the requirments of their software they have uploaded.

A good place to get started is using Fantastico to install scripts and portals such as joomla and wordpress.

If you need any further help give me a shout on msn or email me.

<email snip for spam protection> i would be glad to help =]

Best Regards,

<<MOD NOTE: Signatures must be added through user panel.>>

When it comes to cPanel, a lot of hosts have similar setups - Hostgator included.

Anything you change, just be sure that you have made a backup so you can revert should you need to.

As Lee stated, you're best not changing things unless you know what it is you're actually changing. Fantastico (if they have that installed) is a handy collection of scripts (about 50) that allow you to install all sorts of things. Just be sure that whatever you install, you keep updated. Outdated scripts is the most common method that hackers get into sites and deface things.

Backup backup backup - I can't stress this enough!

And I second Conor's recommendation to keep your scripts updated. Sites are compromised every day on the Internet - don't let yours be one of them!