Hostgators Battle Against Cancer!

I think it's a terrific thing that they are doing. I like what they said about letting their people choose where to donate each year. It is always nice for employees to get a say in it. I'm with the author of that article - I don't care what the reasons are behind a company giving as long as they do it.

They most likely did it for free advertising, and to make themselves look good, but the important thing is they actually donated $100,000 to the Anderson Center. Atleast the money will be put to good use, and help the fight against cancer.

I suppose he's thinking about the coverage such a piece of news might bring them.

Unless they were featured on some decently popular TV channel, I doubt that they got $100K worth of advertising from this, or anywhere near it.

The point is they gave 100k to a needy cause.
If they get coverage for this - good they deserve it.

The donation speaks volumes.

I suppose he's thinking about the coverage such a piece of news might bring them.

Unless they were featured on some decently popular TV channel, I doubt that they got $100K worth of advertising from this, or anywhere near it.

I don't know, $100k doesn't get you much advertising nowadays. At most it would get you banner ads in rotation on several popular hosting websites for a month or two. The hostgator donation happened a while ago and will keep people talking about them for at least several months if not longer. I'd say thats definitely $100k worth of advertising for a company like them.

I'm not at all saying that their motives were negative, im merely commenting on the statement about how far $100k would go in ads.

Regardless, props to them for helping a worthy cause. :)

I had thought HostGator was a somewhat shady web provider, due to what a friend of mine had said, but they can't be that bad if they are at least donating some money to a worthwhile cause. Even disgruntled former HostGator clients can't find much fault in this at least!

They most likely did it for free advertising, and to make themselves look good, but the important thing is they actually donated $100,000 to the Anderson Center. Atleast the money will be put to good use, and help the fight against cancer.

They most Likely didn't do that for free Advertising,If they wanted they could have bought a ton of Ad space with that kind of money.:agree:

They most Likely didn't do that for free Advertising,If they wanted they could have bought a ton of Ad space with that kind of money.:agree:

On the other hand, more advertising would just have been more banners. It's not easy to make people feel warm and fuzzy with a banner - or even a whole lot of banners.

Donating to a cause (such as this) benefit the givers in a few ways:

* short term - tax writeoff (not to be discounted in this economic climate)
* short term, mid-term - publicity
* mid-term, long-term (hopeful) - positive image makeover, general "warm fuzzies" in the viral marketplace

For people who haven't experienced problems with a company firsthand, something like this can go a long way toward making the company look like a good option.

Just as one negative incident shouldn't irrevocably damn a company, no positive incident or action should irrevocably place them on a pedastal or wipe away other considerations. Consumers still need to research a company's service levels, evaluate the company's support versus the consumer's needs / wants, make their decision based on the value they're getting for the money, and not be afraid to a) stand up for their rights if they're wronged by any company; and b) feel free to change providers if their needs aren't met.

The fact that they donated such a large sum (as what most people consider a large sum) to a very worthy cause speaks more than some of those ad banners that are damn expensive, could ever touch. It shows their softer side of things really.

HG's latest move is not utterly altruistic, nor (I think) is it an isolated move. This action, along with their latest "green" push, sounds like the pieces of an image makeover.

Companies who send out press releases about how much they've donated to something...it's become a de rigeur fact of life, but that doesn't mean it seems any less self-serving. The causes have merit, the donations benefit those affected as well as society overall; but the motives for the donation are not straightforward.

They aren't just acting for positive change. They want a gold star.

It is far more impressive when others discover your good qualities without your help.

I still don't like them. Sure, I support the cause that they donated to but they are still a really, really poor hosting company and nothing will change that. Not all the publicity spinning that they've been doing lately, if they don't change their operating policies.

I'm actually pretty shocked HostGator did that. I'm sure you will see alot more web hosting providers / companies stepping it up and contributing in the same way because they will see all the positive response HostGator got. Great job HostGator!