Hosting 2 domains on one package.

eBandit

I'm new to all this and don't know all the terminology yet, so bear with me.

I would like to know what to look for in a hosting package that would be able to host at least two domains on the same account without buying a separate hosting package for the 2nd domain.

One I looked at http://www.linksky.com/plans.html would allow that but with a re-direct and I was told the re-direct on the 2nd domain would hurt search engine rankings and make the site harder to find (not sure it hurts one site or both). For that reason I don't want my second domain to be re-directed to MyFirstDomain.com/MySecondDomain.

Hosting plans that says host X amount of domains etc., would those work and actually host each domain on its own web site without any re-directs like that? If so what terminology do I look for or ask for when looking for a package, so I know I am getting the right thing?

I don't need anything major as of yet, so I am looking for something cheap and that I can either pay month-to-month or no more than 3 months at a time payments and no set-up fees unless very cheap.

Thanks

I was told that with a single hosting package there will be only be one IP and the only was to have two seperate websites with out any re-directs or sub-folder on the 2nd website would be having two seperate hosting packages or a dedicated server.

Any suggestions anyone?

You are looking too deep into this issue. It is possible to host more than 1 domain on a shared account. Sure, there could be a single IP address, but it won't impact your search engine ranking in any way. Its just that - an IP address. If a host says you can host an X amount of domains on a plan, that means both of your sites URLs are unique, they both will have their own username and password, and they won't be in each other's sub-folders.

Another option (and something that usually show up as a sub-folder in one account) is if you addon domain on one account. In most cases you can add as many domains as you like that way, even if a host does not allow hosting more than 1 domain on a shared plan. But, the downside is that they will all share the resources and they will be all located as "subfolder" of a main root account.

Hope this clears it up a little. :)

If SEO is a concern then why not consider a reseller plan over a shared plan?
It would be easier to control your domains and there are affordable reseller plans out there especially if all you want to do is add your own sites.

So far my searching has found they charge more but give much less storage and bandwidth for reseller accounts.

So far my searching has found they charge more but give much less storage and bandwidth for reseller accounts.

It is mostly because they also provide tools that enable you to resell and earn additional revenue. Each account you setup has its own username/password and control panel. Also, a lot of times "resellers" are placed on separate servers and there are fewer of them than shared hosting clients. However, if your plan is to host average websites (resource intensive-wise), you shouldn't note a difference between the two. Of course that all depends on the quality of your chosen provider.

I found this through quote search: "With a reseller account you can also sell hosting, so this can be a relatively cheap step into the hosting business. You have the flexibility of controlling your own clients, creating, suspending and terminating accounts."

I can recommend scrolling through this forum to see if there is a host that can match your requirements:
http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/shared-reseller-hosting-special-offers/
OR, you can post your custom request for free and have hosting companies compete for your business with custom offers. You just set the Space, Bandwidth and your Price you are willing to pay and they will come in with their respective offers:
http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/web-hosting-requests/

Best of luck.

I will look into that then, thanks. Any personal suggestions on hosting companies to use?

You need to determine what space and transfer you need instead of looking for the highest space per dollar ratio.

Shared accounts are pretty much always over sold these days. The host is banking on you not using anything close to your alloted resourses with a single account.
They have far less control over a reseller account, therefore the higher prices.

What you need to ask yourself is if the space and transfer offered by a good host on a reseller program is what you need for your purposes. Everything else is just window dressing.

Shared accounts are pretty much always over sold these days. The host is banking on you not using anything close to your alloted resourses with a single account.
They have far less control over a reseller account, therefore the higher prices.
Well said. Resellers, over time, tend to actually use good percents of what you give them, as they grow their business and add other people's sites to their account. It's all about statistics.

Thanks everyone, I'll start searching with my new knowledge.

I think when I first started searching for plans I was too caught up on wanting tons of storage and bandwidth simply because I seen these "cheap" plans out there offering such. Having never even set-up a website other than a few free angelfire sites a long time ago, I know nothing about bandwidth requirments and because I seen all these packages offering super high amounts of bandwidth I thought, just maybe I needed a bunch.

:D

You may find the site which looks very much alike your future site and inquire the host about the resources it uses.

Hosting 2 domains on one package

Yes, you can host two or more domains on one package but for it you need shared web hosting services from an ISP. In this way one IP address will work behind your domains.

Leo F. Swiontek

I think when I first started searching for plans I was too caught up on wanting tons of storage and bandwidth simply because I seen these "cheap" plans out there offering such. Having never even set-up a website other than a few free angelfire sites a long time ago, I know nothing about bandwidth requirments and because I seen all these packages offering super high amounts of bandwidth I thought, just maybe I needed a bunch.
Hosts can offer up such large amounts of bandwidth and storage because so many sites use such a small percentage of that offered in their hosting plan. That's overselling and it eventually catches up to the host and the customers as the server slows to a crawl when they get a client that uses a good portion of their bandwidth.

Look for realistic amounts, not unlimited or unmetered.

Now a days most mid level hosting plans offer multiple doamin hosting. yes, you can host separate websites in these packages, not just redirects.

Look for realistic amounts, not unlimited or unmetered.

Great advice there! And let us know how it turns out too. I would be interested in seeing the end result over this and what you come up with. Half the battle is finding the right place, the rest is all about getting the site up and having traffic there. ;)

Great advice there! And let us know how it turns out too. I would be interested in seeing the end result over this and what you come up with. Half the battle is finding the right place, the rest is all about getting the site up and having traffic there. ;)

I sure will. I originally was going to host them with 1&1 (where I registered both my domains-6.99 each with free private reg.), but I have yet (after many emails) been able to get a straight answer about hosting both sites (would be buying their business plan for 9.99/month). I don't know if I have not been asking right or what, but they keep answering me incorrectly every time as if I am asking different things, like parking a domain etc... I just gave up and got tired of sending emails back and forth.

I see reasonable stuff out there, but not sure because I have never heard of some of them (some I found on this web site) and some don't even have phone numbers listed (which I understand if a person is smalltime, but I want something that will be a stable company and not go under a few months later). I'm kind of weighing that thought with price and seeing what I can find.

And thanks to you all for your input, I really appreciate it!

Now if I was to end up buying a package from a hosting provider that has actuall adds on this site, will this site owner get credit? Im just asking because if I picked one I seen advertise here, then I would want to make sure I did it through and add link on here or mentioned this as where I found them. (not saying I am picking one from a banner add, but I am going to check them out and see what they offer).

Support is a problem with many companies. I just read an email reply on a trouble ticket from ATT and like your reply, it didn't come close to addressing the issue. As a web host, I've learned that when dealing with data center support or software support, that I cannot create a ticket that asks for assistance, I must ensure that I include the fix. So it's like the old adage 'don't ask a question unless you know the answer'.

I believe much of this is a result of hiring people that aren't really qualified, they simply give them a script to read from.

With regard to hosting multiple sites, it's very easy to give an individual account either a parked domain or an add-on domain (it's own unique content) with most hosting control panels. A parked
domain is going to deliver the same content as the domain that it's parked on top of. An add-on domain, while delivering it's own unique content, the files may, depending on the control panel used, reside in a web accessible folder below the accounts main domain. cPanel creates add-on domains in this manner.

In my opinion, unless someone knows for sure that they're never going to register another domain, a reseller account is the way to go. It gives the individual the option to create domain accounts that are completely isolated from one another. Most control panels will allow the host to add reseller rights to an individual domain account after creation, but in general the cost difference is very little, so just start with a reseller account.

Finding the right host for you is a difficult process. One can read reviews from hundreds of web sites and still not make the right choice.

-Look for a host that offers a money back guarantee, so you can test drive the service for a couple of weeks. During that time as you create support tickets you'll see how well they're answered and resolved.

-Make sure that the host you select uses a common control panel, ie. cPanel or Direct Admin, so that in the event you leave that host you can make a backup that another host can restore to they're server without major effort.

-Own your domain registration. Don't buy in to the free domain with hosting gimmick. Make sure that you're listed as the registrant and billing contact versus your host. Additionally, ensure that you have a control panel to update your domain. You've already done this so you're ok.

If you've done the above you can trial different hosts with piece of mind and you can change hosts without major difficulty.

Yeah after reading about the free domain stuff with hosting and how that could work, I went ahead and registered them myself allready.

Has anyone on here used the X9hosting that not only has adds in the forums but also banner adds on this site. They replied quick and answered my question properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting