Hosting a Third-Party COM Object

lexwellard

Hi there

I'm having problems finding a host that will allow the installation of a third-party COM object here in the UK...

No-one seems to allow the installation of such an object on a shared server.

The object in question is PDFlib (www.pdflib.com).

Does anyone know of hosting companies (preferably in the UK) that allow the use of custom/third-party COMs?

Thanks!

Hi lexwellard,

Any responsible host would require at least seeing what the com object does before allowing it to run on a shared server.

I looked at the program and see that it will work on Linux.

Are you confined to using Windows or would Linux OS work for you?

Depending on how you plan to use it and the number of users at a time I can see it might use a lot of resources.

What will it be used for on your site?

Looks interesting, please tell us more?

Hi AlHost

Yeah... I understand the wariness of hosts to install third-party COMs. I have found some hosts since, but they're in the US (Maximum ASP and Orcsweb).

I'm pretty much confined to NT hosting... But would consider Linux/Unix hosting (if ChilliASP is available).

The plan for the project is for a chain of garages to be able to produce their own personalised marketing materials on the web. We will need a database, and the chain of garages is relatively large, so MS-SQL, Oracle or MySQL would be necessary.

The application may (infrequently) use a large amount of bandwidth, I guess... I'm just in the planning stage at the minute, so I'm not entirely sure of the implications for memory usage etc.

Thanks for your reply...