How can a computer magazine billing system be so bad??

Lagniappe

Subscribed to Linux Journal... got a letter saying if I did 2 years I'd get a t-shirt and gave me 3 ways to pay - use the enclosed envelope, call a toll-free #, or use the listed URL. The order sheet to go back in the envelope even had a spot to mark what size shirt I wanted. But not being the postal mail type, I used their website via the url listed. Except I never got asked for what size shirt. The letter had an email listed if I had questions so I sent them a quick note explaining what happened, and what size shirt I wanted.

Then the real fun started... Got back an email that I need to call and pay for my subscription, and a t-shirt would be an extra $10. Wait a sec... 1) It's paid already and 2) I clearly explained that the letter indicates I will get a t-shirt for going to 2 years. I replied but then thought better of it as it's often better to talk to someone directly, so I called the subscriptions customer service number. They claim it isn't paid, I repeat that I paid it, and he went and looked in another system and saw that it was indeed paid. Apparently LJ's systems take 24+ hours to update. Then says he'll send a note about the issue and the size desired to the shipping department. Once again I think it'll be fixed.

15 minutes later... I get an email from LJ... "Your payment of $49.50 is now due ... Please remit payment as soon as possible ..." Uh, yeah, wait you took the update to the amount $49.50 is the 2 year sub. but STILL have not posted the payment. Quite the little system going on there. Really am getting sick of being asked to pay for something that's paid for or was supposed to be a free gift.

Think I'm going to have to splurge for $100/yr and switch to Linux Pro - bet they'd get it right.