how do i Make money .

amandeep

I want to make money reselling web hosting. I see two paths: Be an affiliate and get money from simple referrals. Be a reseller and buy services and resell them.

If I become a reseller, what do I do, spend $15 a month on 5 gigs of space, and resell the 5 gigs into two or three "chunks" each sold at $20?

many thanks

Unless you have some sort of passion to become a real web host and learn the business inside and out I would suggest you become an affiliate.

If you have the resources or can do the support on your own, you can be a reseller and leverage off of an affordable reseller account. I've known resellers that have taken a $20/month account to $400/month fairly easily. That's a fair amount of residual income.

However, the goal is to be able to market services appropriately or to target a niche market.

Roj

Hi,
That's the basic reseller idea. You buy the larger chunk of space, bandwith etc and then resell it it in smaller chunks. You'll still need to provide support to your customers so your choice in a host can be important. And you do want to know a little about hosting yourself, though some of the hosting details will be left to the person you host with
Find a home for your online business.
silvermoon :)

I would suggest you don't bother with affiliate programs. Anyone who knows anything about hosting will see that you are an affiliate and just go straight to the source. The only good thng about affiliate programs is that you do not have to support the clients.
I do suggest a reseller plan though. If your budget allows, you can get a reseller package, and then get an outsourced support package for resellers at http://bobcares.com . Combined, you should expect to spend "about" $35 a month to start. Alternatively, you can check out http://resellerzoom,com or http://jodohost.com . They offer end user support (they take care of yoru clients) with their resellers.
Good luck to ya!

Back when our host started, it was a reseller account. What we did (and what all hosts do) is simply do some over selling. Like we had a 10GB account for about $30/month and we had about 50 clients (about 5-10 bucks a month paying) and just happen to never go over our limit. If we did, we would just upgrade and would still be making profit.

You can take a look at our hosting plans, those are the SAME exact plans we had back when we used a reseller account.

But if you oversell too much, it can get a little nasty if not done right.

Overselling for resellers is the best way to make money but it is dishonest in alot of ways. I think if you manage your space and have a good read on what your customers use, you should be alright. The best thing to do when starting any business is to have a "business plan". Set goals, forecast earnings, and most important of all, plan for future grow accordingly.

You can make MORE money by adding VALUE ADDED SERVICES to your hosting services. Some Value Added Services are: custom coding, website monitoring services, outsourced site-related services, content services, etc etc. The sky's the limit really.

This one really depends on how much time you are willing to invest. If you would like to make this venture a business, you will need to go with a reseller plan. You would do this knowing that you will be expected to support your clients and run your business as just that - a business which means that you have to seriously devote time to it. If you're looking into an affiliate program, you have to consider the people that you will be referring. I don't know much about your situation - perhaps you could explain why you want to do this - but affiliates can be effective if you are a web designer and you are referring your design clients to a host while not having to worry about the maintenance and support of your clients and their accounts. Don't try to offer everything under the sun. Pick something and do it well - that is how you make money in this industry.

If you are doing it for the money. Then don't bother. Making money requires a lot of effort, dedication and determination. It must be something you have a genuine interest for and will follow with a passion..

An affiliate account is not the best way to maximise income through webhosting.
With reselling, you do not need an ample amount of time to manage things as the host would take care of server security issues etc.

However, like others have mentioned, you need to have time to offer support for your clients unless you choose a reseller hosting with end-user support so they can offer your clients support. But by doing so, you won't be learning much in the industry and it may make things harder for you in the future..

Choose a decent host and a reseller account if you really want to be a web host..
Otherwise, go with an affiliate account..

Most of our resellers cater to their local markets. This way, they can pay less for their hosting, while maximising profits by charging their clients accordingly.

It's mostly niche-targetted webhosting. There's obviously niches online, where people will pay you for a reliable service. In that case, you'll need to choose a good company to partner with.

If I become a reseller, what do I do, spend $15 a month on 5 gigs of space, and resell the 5 gigs into two or three "chunks" each sold at $20?

Add support for your customers. It's not just buying and reselling, you have to manage the customers and support them.

If you're not up for that, then as everyone had already suggested, find an affiliate program :)

amandeep said:
I want to make money reselling web hosting. I see two paths: Be an affiliate and get money from simple referrals. Be a reseller and buy services and resell them.

many thanks
You have the right idea. I personally suggest you consider the reseller route - if you feel that you can provide the support required. There is greater potential to make money - with greater risk. With an affiliate, the host will provide all the support. With a reseller account, you have to support your own customers. If your host has major server problems, you will have to deal with the angry customers.

dacsoft said:
You have the right idea. I personally suggest you consider the reseller route - if you feel that you can provide the support required. There is greater potential to make money - with greater risk. With an affiliate, the host will provide all the support. With a reseller account, you have to support your own customers. If your host has major server problems, you will have to deal with the angry customers.

You always have the option of choosing a hosting with end-user support for resellers. It cuts out the middle-man needed to relay messages and will increase the overall speed of the tech support dept.

I suggest you try resellerpanel.com

It is free and they handle things like billing and support in a professional manner. All you have to do is market your site. You can make your site unique and if you are good at marketing you can make money.

my-e-space said:
I would suggest you don't bother with affiliate programs. Anyone who knows anything about hosting will see that you are an affiliate and just go straight to the source. The only good thng about affiliate programs is that you do not have to support the clients.
I do suggest a reseller plan though. If your budget allows, you can get a reseller package, and then get an outsourced support package for resellers at http://bobcares.com . Combined, you should expect to spend "about" $35 a month to start. Alternatively, you can check out http://resellerzoom,com or http://jodohost.com . They offer end user support (they take care of yoru clients) with their resellers.
Good luck to ya!
I agree. Affiliate programs are probably the hardest to pull in terms of hiding the affiliate link. Another problem is that even if you do hide the link well, it will still lead to the website.

The best idea for you is to research running a website host, and becoming a reseller with those links listed above. Also, a quick google search should give you some resellers you can look at.

my-e-space said:
The only good thng about affiliate programs is that you do not have to support the clients.
Not always true, think of reseller companies with in-house support. I agree about resellerzoom, their failover plan seems interesting, you might also want to check ************ reselling offers, where you can resell 20 Gb for 20$ a month.