How many servers do you put in one rack w 20amp/120v x 2?

Depends, If your using an Atom type server, you can get in theory about 80 units on the half u cases. :)

With Dual Nehalem, single hard drive, and two gigs of ram. You might be able to get 30.

With a QXXX you might be able to get 21 if your lucky. Older equipment tends to pull more power then newer ones.

Depends on the hardware and the specs. The QXXXX processors are great but they are power hogs.

Depends primarily on power consumption. Rough estimate from 13 to 21.

Steve, do you guys run 60 amp racks in practice to bump the number per rack? What configurations are you guys using that only gets 13 per rack? The box would be pulling 2.4 amps which is a lot. I have clients who run Dual Quad-Core, 8 GB+ ram boxes, w/1 TB HDD that consume less then an amp each. When you look at the 80% rule for power you should be getting 32 amps per rack and should be able to slide anywhere between 21 - 30 servers in there.

I know a lot of faculties are running 60 or 80 amps per rack now to utilize the rack fully.

Zachary, the OPs question wasn't about 60 or 80 AMP racks - it was 20A/120v x 2. Of course you can put more servers on a rack by adding power. We do custom configurations all the time. The 13 to 21 answer was for colocation clients (hosting companies) within the 80 percent rule for 20A/120V x 2.

Thank you all!! My place (Data Center) does not provide more than 20amp/120v x 2 per rack so I guess 15 servers per rack is about right.

Zachary, the OPs question wasn't about 60 or 80 AMP racks - it was 20A/120v x 2. Of course you can put more servers on a rack by adding power. We do custom configurations all the time. The 13 to 21 answer was for colocation clients (hosting companies) within the 80 percent rule for 20A/120V x 2.

Steve, I was asking you specifically. That just seems low for colocation. We don't see the same on the consulting clients. That would be very costly especially in places like Chicago or New York.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sus123