How much time?

I'm pretty sure that it depends on the updates that you need to take care of. Sometimes it only takes a few minutes for us, other times, we do it in the middle of the night for the least disruption because things will be down for several hours.

What do you mean update? Are you asking about moving web hosting providers, e.g. - Moving from hostingprovider1 to newhostingprovider?

Well... as others have stated it depends on what exactly that updates are and what they include. Whatever the update may be take it from my own personal experience DO NOT RUSH IT. Make sure you allow yourself enough time encase something goes horribly wrong. Best of luck!

Hi!
DNS still takes 48 hours to propogate..period. Again..what kind of update? I have a test vm I test all updates on before updating a production program.

I will never EVER update/upgrade a program like WHMCS before testing in a non-production environment...unless it's a simple exploit or problem.

>>I think I also should point out my kayako and whmcs do not share the same database server as the version the production server uses. It is quite easy to setup..I'm surprised many people don't even think about it.

Bryon

Last edited:
What do you mean DNS takes 48 hours to propagate?

DNS propagation is almost instant these days.

Hi!
No..it's not. Not worldwide it's not. I'm not going to argue it..it is not almost instant.

>>>The reason being so many ISP's ignore the TTL field..and do not update their records according to it.

Bryon

Last edited:
Argue or not it is a fact that DNS propagation is almost instant.

There may be some service providers worldwide that don't update as often but the number is too small to even worry about.

Hi!
I'll tell you another thing..I don't talk about stuff I have not had personal upfront experience with.

Example: subdomains on a primary *.info account:

6 hours-still not resolving
12 hours-nope
16 hours-yes
24 hours-no
29 hours-no
36 hours-yes

and it's been fine ever since.

My bad...charter does not have 5+ million customers on the east coast. However..
5.7 million were affected by a dns outage in August..Charter..Comcast..etc..etc.

Bryon

Last edited:
I guess you did want to argue after all.
I don't base my arguments on wikipedia. Hardly a credible source for the most part.

I base my arguments on my own empirical evidence and the fact is every domain I have either registered or transferred for myself or any client as propagated almost instantly.

That is the facts. Period.

I guess you did want to argue after all.
I don't base my arguments on wikipedia. Hardly a credible source for the most part.

What a conditioned response. Wikipedia was empirically validated in a paper published in the journal Nature -- possibly THE premier academic journal.

As for DNS propagation, in my experience it is usually near-instant :)

I think some are really quick and then there are major things that may take a while. Depending on how much experience they have and how much they monitor a terms of service etc. As time goes on the good host always will adapt and get better at what they are doing. Hope your not down right now either but hope that your hosts adapts too and keeps you up in down times.

That depends on how many clients you have. The more the specialized a staff should be in hardening your server thus, the updates can be done on a daily basis.