How to Compete??

webhosting4u

I recently went to a dedicated server and have begun selling reseller and shared web hosting packages rather than just shared.

While I have begun to see an increase in sales, I fly around these web hosting forums, there are a couple out there, and look at the offers and request, and just not sure how one competes in this biz!

The clients are on sites requesting web hosting, and many out there are bending over backwards, I will admit, I jump to as I am trying to increase sales, but not to a point where I am selling 6000MB Disk Space for $1.00.

I like to pride myself on uptime and support....so, if you have to pay a little more, you should know I am going to be there....

The hosting companies that are here for the long haul, how do you compete??

If anyone is with a host with 6GB space for $1 leave now... lol :)

Hang in there, you'll get by with your values as cheaper hosts crumble.

cats-computing, thanks for the advice! I know these $1.00 hosts will sooner or later fade, but there always seems to be another one popping up.

I'll just keep doing what I have been doing, so far things have been pretty good!

Thanks Again

The first few clients are usually the hard part, once you get a few the ball is rolling :)

They are popping up because other $1 hosts are offering $1 resellers so they all join in on the game :)

Keep your current customers happy! I remember I got 1-2 customers in the first month. One for the next month. Then...
the old customers have introduced our services, and we have more and more customers. We have been working in hosting nearly 3 years, and now have thousand of accounts on our servers :)

It will take times, C.J :)

Hey gate2vn,

Thanks for the support and info. We have been doing great lately, but I was just wondering how one compete's with prices like that. I guess at some point, many of those people are back here looking for web hosting again cause their $1 host has left them hanging. I have put on 5 customers this month, 1 reseller, 4 shared, and that is a great month for me! I have a "Where did you hear of us" on my sign up page and to my surprise I had someone sign up from here. It wasn't anything I posted, but I suppose just being visible has helped!

Competitive pricing and competing on price are two different things. It is good business to know your market and compete on that level but you never want to compete with these fly by nights that have a $10 reseller account and are only interested in making some money to blow at the mall. In the end, if you keep a consistent business model, you will prevail and succeed.

I think that instead of competing on price, you have to add more value added services to seperate yourself from the flies. It is human nature to want a good deal, even if it sounds to good to be true and that is why there will always be these $1.00 hosting outfits. They have nothing to lose and can make a quick grand and then close up shop without any regard to the clients that are left hanging with their website down and host gone fishing.

Bottom line is, don't worry about the flies, because they will end up swatting themselves.:)

Web Hosting

I agree with WCWS...getting yourself consistent in the market place is vital; branding a name you can trust is the ticket. The clients I have would rather pay a little more, if they feel secure in your service.

There are too many fly by night web hosting companies out there and customer confidence is low, but stay consistent and overtime you will be successful.

Good luck?

Noon-an-Night Marketing
PPC Management & SEO Service
Web Hosting & Design Company

Charge what you feel is right. As long as you have a positive attitude and an honest mentality clients will be drawn to your service. No sense in competing with hosting providers that offer $1 accounts, you appeal to a different market.