How to have an active forum?

bandboy

Forums and Discussion boards have been increasing in number on daily basis but ratio of active forums decreasing.

What do you think makes forum active or how can one have an active forum?

how can one have an active forum?
Be among the first forums on a given subject. If there are already one or a couple of very similar but busy forums, competing will be very very hard.

Activity attracts more activity. Active forums provide one with replies within minutes, instead of hours or days. Guess which forum is likely to be preferred.

ldcdc said:
Be among the first forums on a given subject. If there are already one or a couple of very similar but busy forums, competing will be very very hard.

Activity attracts more activity. Active forums provide one with replies within minutes, instead of hours or days. Guess which forum is likely to be preferred.

Hi,
I will go with you that Active forums provide one with replies within minutes, instead of hours or days.But sometimes you will get only one reply within minutes means only one user in that forum.May be that one administrator of that forum or Moderator.They gave immediate replay within a seconds.I feel number of replies decides the active forums.

If I get ten replies after some hours instead of getting one immediate reply means which one is active?

Time a must

I have a designer forum with a few hundred users but I dont have time to work it like should with all my other projects and my 9 to 5 job so is basiccaly a place for people to spa at moment. So Ill probably just sell the whole site unless can get some people interested soon due to the time factor

Being among the first of the type (as ldcdc said) certainly is a plus for an active community and if you are not, it is going to be a hard run to compete with the other bigger forums of that niche. To compete with the bigger forums you need to have something that the other forums don't have but the users like and users that frequent forums need informations, who can give better informations than a old big and active forum?