i5 or i7?

Silk

Looking into a new server, but not sure whether to go with the i5 or i7. Does it make a significant difference? Should we pay extra for the i7, or stick with the i5?

Does depend on what you are using it for.

But for example the Intel Core i5 3550 is 4 threads with a 6MB cache. Where the Intel Core i7 3770 is 8 threads with a 8MB cache.

Again, this depends entirely on what you're going to be using it for. There's a great comparison between the two on a PC Magazine article here.

Well obviously if your looking for better performance go with the i7, if you have a small budget go with the i5, but i i7 is great!

The main purpose for it is web hosting, with hopes of having at least 200 clients by the time it's full. Would the performance change significantly between the two with that use?

Depends on the client. If you have clients that are database intensive and require frequent memory swapping - then the i7 is recommended. If they're static sites, then the i5 might get away with it.

Also, performance changes depending on the i7 chip you get. An i7-2600 (3.4ghz) will perform much differently than an i7-3930K (3.2ghz). While the speed appears slower, the i7-3930K chip handles much better performance.

The only thing I can advise you is to do your research, and compare to the Xeon while you're at it. Pay no attention to reports about overclocking the CPU - you don't want to do that with a web hosting server!

The Sandy/IVY Bridge architecture is fantastic in general. That being said we always go with "server grade" web servers (i.e. E3 / E5) as opposed to "desktop grade" servers (i.e. i3/ i5/ i7).

Well obviously if your looking for better performance go with the i7, if you have a small budget go with the i5, but i i7 is great!

Yes an i7 if you're looking for the additional performance, but if what you need it for will work just fine on an i5 structure, stick with an i5 and save a little money. Try to figure out how much you actually need.

A decent grade Core i5 will perform the same, perhaps even better than a low-end Core i7. It's up to your budget really. For brand-ability and marketing you'd want to use i7s, though.

Depends what you need it for as most have said, but really, i5 or i7? If the price isn't much more then get the i7 all day long!

You need to think for the application or website you are planning to host on server and as per your website load and traffic final selection needs to be made.

Yes, i7 is much better than the i5 servers. If you have the budget then go for i7. This would help you to retain the setup for a longer time. If you go for i5, you might have to upgrade to a better server when your company grows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting