ICANN unanimously approves org/info/biz price increase

nebraska

Be wary of falling the cheap .info domain registration deals floating around these days. ICANN voted unanimously to approve the .biz, .info, and .org contract increases. This means that the registries can place a value on the domain name you own and increase the price by however much they want. At least thats how I interperet the situation.

I see many offers for cheap .info domain name registrations, like .88 at tiera.net. i wonder if this is just a ploy to get inflated registrations and blindside you when your annual renwall comes up?

More discussion on this issue here.

The situation with .com domains isn't much different, the renewal price may be doubled or trippled by the registries, it feels more like a trap, actually.

XNL0 said:
The situation with .com domains isn't much different, the renewal price may be doubled or trippled by the registries, it feels more like a trap, actually.
The corporate scams. Always got to avoid them.:rolleyes2

Just like any other business they have the right to increase prices as they see if the only down side it's the ehw auto ind. here in mich you have to pay the price

nebraska said:
I see many offers for cheap .info domain name registrations, like .88 at tiera.net. i wonder if this is just a ploy to get inflated registrations and blindside you when your annual renwall comes up?

Always been the case. Anywhere I've seen offering <$2 .info registrations clearly states "first year $X.XX (discounted price), renewals and transfers will be at standard rate of $x.xx". It's a promotion that is/was being run to encourage .info domain takeup, on the idea once you register it you won't want to let them go. Most places offer <$2 in the first year and $6-10 renewals. It's not that bad, and as long as they are upfront and honest I don't see the problem.

I can understand the .info prices being increased. They don't hold much quality since there a dime a dozen. ICANN might be practicing some good old corporate marketing techniques to reduce the demand for .info's.

@NCHChris – I think ICANN must be practicing their marketing techniques to increase the demand for .info

@bobchrist – they have not specifically specified anything about other tld’s.

Still there are good choice for people to go with other tld even with .com why people will prefer for .info now if they are increasing the price.

I'm not really bothered because I don't tend to use the .org, .info or .biz domain extensions ;)

Is that for premium names or any name with those extensions? If it is for premium names only, then thats fine, but if not, it will drive away many people.

I got .org for $2.99 from yahoo but wouldn't want to pay $299 for it upon renewal, unless ofcourse i have business with higher returns running on same or lack better options. :(

That's not fair for us people. I'm not rich, and when domain pricing goes up, it's a pain in the butt for me.

Is it good time to invest in domain names with these tlds as even they may go up in prices in future and then there would be less of them in the internet market like the .coms?? Does anyone have any idea about it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting