I'm building a PC from scratch! :)

brybert

Hi!
I'm putting together a new PC.

So far:

Asus M4A785-M Motherboard
AMD Athlon II- 4.0GHz, 2.6GHz - 512 KB, 2 MB L2 Cache (4 cores) w/fan
Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
Ultra LSP450 450-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, 135mm Fan, Lifetime Warranty
750GB Barracuda 7200RPM HD

It's been ages since I've done this..and had a ton to learn. Don't worry about the power..I've already used asus's calculator..and it will be more than enough.

Bryon

Hi Bryon,

It's been a few years since I've done a custom build on a personal PC too, and honestly I'd have a hard time knowing where to start. It seems most times you can now buy a computer already assembled and cheaper without having to assemble things.

The power was a concern to me looking at just what I use in my personal system (650). If you're going to be running an extra drive, USB powered devices, cd/DVD, powered headphones etc and then of course all the internal fans you may want to consider a higher power unit.

My biggest issue with newer systems these days is that the cooling just isn't the greatest so I usually have 4 to 6 fans operating in the system.

The specification looks good for a reasonable desktop should be capable of most things though personally these days I prefer 4GB ram DDR3 1600MHz, though this is due to highly responsive/demanding programs but it all depends on your usage ?

My new desktop barely pushes over 5% CPU usage or 25% ram as such it's got plenty of give before an upgrade is on the cards, just depends on your budget and how future proof you want to make it :)

Hi!
I have updated several things...

I will start out with 4GB RAM 800Mhz DC

I learned some very bad things about ultra..so I'm shooting for a corsair PSU if budget allows.

This was just a spur of the moment thing..to be honest, Mr. Handsonhosting. :)

I have not built a system from scratch in years..but..the original plan was to get a Vid card for this poor frankenstein PC of mine...which is clearly on it's way out.

Prices were so low I quickly abandoned that idea for a complete rebuild. Use the parts I have around..then buy better components as possible.

You may not believe it..but newegg has quoted me $155 for the mobo, proc and fan..which is...amazing!

I did have a question about the EPS connetor being 8 pin and the normal ATX connector on the modo being 4 pins.
I have emailed them. I don't like surprises.

As far as RAM..I honestly believe these two modules sitting here will suffice..and I have a good inventory of hard drives...at least just to get a complete system up and running.

Just take a look at this mobo:

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=ef0qgvMIwOUagAVl

Wheee!

Bryon
System Builder In-training

Last edited:
The link gave an error :( Must have been a temporary session link. Can you provide the model number so I can run a search in their site and check it out?

Nice catch on the pins - nobody likes surprises like that! I've run into it myself years ago when the power plugs changed from I think it was 28 pins (2 sets of 14) to 8 pins? Either way, not a fun experience when you assemble everything and then go to plug in! :(

I like both, but given the choice, for the $5.00 difference I'd take the "M4A785TD-V EVO" board. Keep in mind the memory (DDR2 versus DDR3), so while the new board is only a little more expensive, you may be forced to open the wallet even more since it's DDR3 too.

PCIe 2.0 with 2 slots versus the 1 on the other board and that the CPU's supported on the NEWER board doesn't appear to support an x64 but other than that I like what's on it and how it's setup. Maybe it does support the x64, but I wonder why they're not listing it in compatible CPUs.

Hi!
Interesting..I didn't fully explore the newer board. I was really impressed with the monsterous list the first board supported.

No..the truth is unbelievable in itself.

DDR2 800 DC costs about as much as some of the 1600 DC DDR3...albeit the slower ones.

I didn't spend a ton of time in there..but it seems so.

In a totally unrelated matter..I am testing my emergency dialup connection. I have to say..it's not as bad as I remember. :)

Bryon

Last edited:
Hi!
No..I like having backups..and like making sure they work as planned/hoped ever so often. :)

Tests are good things. :)

>>Of course..I like broadband. I just downloaded a trial of Win 7 64bit to try out on the new system. 3GB over dialup? I've done it..but it ain't pretty.

Bryon
System Builder

Last edited:
Hi!
Well..I didn't really think you could part with 3 grand just for a vid card. Oh yes you can!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133253

Holy fried PDU's! I might think you might opt for that 2,000 watt power supply. I can see it now..everybody knows when you reboot this bad boy..because it causes a brownout for the entire neighborhood! Woot!

>>Heck..you'd think it would come with software! Free copy of Solidworks or something..I mean..come on.

>>>>Newegg even has a sense of humour..notice the (limit 2 per customer). Dang..I gonna get four or five!

Bryon

Last edited:
Heheh.. Well I know I kicked out a grand on one of my gaming setups - but that was two graphic cards running in tandem.

I love that this card also comes with SLI support just in case you ever decide you need TWO of them in the same system :)

As stated in some of their "odd/funny" reviews - it's not really a GAMER card so much as it is a card for 3D Rendering. A copy of SolidWorks would be nice, but the seats on the support for that software are expensive enough! (Girlfriend works for Solidworks competition - Autodesk - NO I don't get discounts! ;) ).

Beefy little piece of hardware though. Make sure you remember to upgrade from the 15" CRT monitor though!

Heh!
Who has a 15" CRT?? :) No..I use a 22" Acer LCD..and can't wait to get two more just like it. No..this baby can handle 1680 x 1050 Res with 5 ms response. I love this monitor..no..crt had to go..I was going blind!!

Actually..using breakout cables..I believe this brute can handle 4 monitors if supports LFH-59..and I suspect it does.

>>>huh. Nope. Man..it better make a mean cup of coffee, then!

Bryon
Computer Builder/reseller in training

Last edited:
Hi!
Well..I'll be a monkey's uncle. Even though I suspect this video card is on it's way out..IT supports two monitors. i always wondered how that would work..software.

ATI has special software that enables you to manage interaction between the two...it is called hydravision.

I've never seen a breakout cable for a DVI-I connection like the one I have here..but I'm sure they exist.

>>Or maybe not. I did find a dongle that can go from DVI-I to composite..and go into a tv. That's interesting.

This stikes me a bit odd, though. The breakout cables I am aware of go from LFH-59 to two DVI-I Female connections. This LCD monitor has only a male DVI-D connection..which makes no sense at all. Feh.

Time to get out the good ole soldering irons, boys and girls! :)

Very interesting indeed.

Bryon
Video cable expert in training

Last edited:
Well..well..the adventure continues! :)

Say...anybody need a vga cable? Only slightly used...

I'm using DVI now...wow. BIG difference. I am now beginning to suspect I do not need a new card for this old girl..just a little fan which is considerably less expenskive.

Sweet. Much better indeed.

Gonna have to do the happy geek dance now!

Matt! We Love ya!

Bryon
Soil Relocation Engineer

Would you be interested in an old Dual Xeon (single cores) with 73 GB SCSI? I have an old server I cant use in production any longer I would love to sell someone for cheap.