In hard printed books

Westpoint

Do you think it is worth it to promote your hosting service or any other online businesses in a hard printed book? Would people bother to access the URLs listed in a printed book?

an advert etc. in any printed literature advertising any online business has to be eye catching to attract customers that will eventually order from you.

i trade at country shows and summer fairs with my other business and i usually take out adverts in show programmes spending £50 to £100 a time (i will give more if the show is community based). I also offer a small discount if anyone orders from a show program using a promo code that tells me which programme they read. sometimes i get no responses, but last week i got a client who used a promo code from a 2004 show.

I think print advertising in the technology industry only really works for brand development type marketing, and only when the budget is large enough. Spreads in industry magazines tend to be £1k-£10k a page depending on the magazine and it's readership, and these only really have any impact as part of a wider marketing programme. So imho, if you have less than £10k-£100k as your marketing budget, I suspect it's not really worthwhile.

I think print advertising in the technology industry only really works for brand development type marketing, and only when the budget is large enough. Spreads in industry magazines tend to be £1k-£10k a page depending on the magazine and it's readership, and these only really have any impact as part of a wider marketing programme. So imho, if you have less than £10k-£100k as your marketing budget, I suspect it's not really worthwhile.

true, but even spending 10K on an ad in a magazine, you would never make that back from that 1 ad alone, but sales of the brand item in general would cover the cost.

We spend approx. £1K a year on ads in show programmes, out of these ads alone we will get on average 5 to 10% back in sales, but what we take annually in sales covers the ad costs.

these ads gets our brand out their and we get some new clients just like any ads/marketing campaigns.

an example take hostingcon and cpanel. cPanel had a large stand their that would have cost a few thousand to have made, they would of paid a few hundred to attend hostingcon along with a few hundred in hotel costs for their staff that attended. How many actual sales would they have made at the event? most likely NONE, but its all about brand awareness and creating contacts

Last edited:

an example take hostingcon and cpanel. cPanel had a large stand their that would have cost a few thousand to have made, they would of paid a few hundred to attend hostingcon along with a few hundred in hotel costs for their staff that attended. How many actual sales would they have made at the event? most likely NONE, but its all about brand awareness and creating contacts

Yup, that's exactly what I mean, good example.