Internet Explorer Vs Firefox

Norma

I'm new to the forum & I love online debates so I thought I would kick off my first post with this, I only just downloaded firefox and i love it, my vote goes to firefox and i will never go back! I mainly like it because it has tabbed browsing, its fast, includes spell checking, you can add extra plugins & extensions! if you use firefox already, upgrade to firefox 2 now, if you don't have it yet, download it FREE from: Firefox

Which do you prefer? please cast your vote & give your views...

Norma, I appreciate the debate, but let's keep it an honest one. I edited your affiliate link (which is not allowed on our forums) to the official Firefox website.

And to answer your question, I voted for IE. I like their browsers and I really like the latest release.

I use Firefox. I didn't take a look at the latest IE release, but I have nothing against IE, and would consider using it (as I would any other browser) should Firefox not fit my needs/cause me trouble.

I also use Firefox, Graphic wise for some strange reason I.E Text shows up poorly on my screen and seems to use more memory.

The only thing I do like in IE7 with the tabs is next to the last tab you can create a new one instead of right clicking or File New Tab/Ctl+T

I use FireFox and before that I used CrazyBrowser. I will not look back. Microsoft makes useful OS's, not browsers. HEHEHE, sorry Artashes.

Firefox always I love it and have run it for a couple of years. I tried ie7 hated it and never did like ie6 so sorry microsoft.

/cry I haven't been able to try out IE7 at all. My os doesn't support it. I'm still on win2k. I don't want to change my os because win2k does not blue screen at all compared to the other versions.

I've had FireFox eat my bookmarks more times than I care to count.

I have worked part time for a security company that dealt in cleaning up infected computers. I've seen many infections with FireFox installed and set as the default browser. I can't say that I've seen more as more people use Internet Explorer.

Before anyone quotes and says that FireFox is more secure than IE make sure you include links so that I can go test it myself and get infected "just by visiting" a website.

You can drive a VW and a Geo Metro off a cliff, and neither one is going to work worth a crap afterwards. Treat your browser nice, stay off the inappropriate sites, know what you're doing, and you'll be fine.

I never had that happen in the 2 years or so of using it.

As with anything, what works for some doesn't necessarily work for the others.

SSmurino said:
i prefer IE for some reason. Firefox is unstable imo
Care to elaborate why? :)

You can drive a VW and a Geo Metro off a cliff, and neither one is going to work worth a crap afterwards. Treat your browser nice, stay off the inappropriate sites, know what you're doing, and you'll be fine.

Words of wisdom there for many members of this community.

Exon said:

I have worked part time for a security company that dealt in cleaning up infected computers. I've seen many infections with FireFox installed and set as the default browser. I can't say that I've seen more as more people use Internet Explorer.

Before anyone quotes and says that FireFox is more secure than IE make sure you include links so that I can go test it myself and get infected "just by visiting" a website.

Dang man, I never had that much trouble with any browser I've ever used. IE, FireFox, CrazyBrowser, Opera, Gecko.. the list goes on. Guess I'm in the lucky boat! Knocks on wood. :smash:

Reason I like FireFox is the plugins. You just can't beat the plugins/addons that the community make. I could not browser without tabs, which is the original reason I moved over. Most other browsers have implemented tabs now.

As for that company that had all those infected FireFox default installed browsers, sounds like another issue -- having nothing to do with FireFox itself. Security is a moot point when it comes to which of the top browsers, you need more than browser to protect yourself from crazy crap on the Internet that people feel like spreading.

Missed my point Sarah, the infected default firefox browser statement...

What I meant was the clients had FireFox installed, it was their default browser (meaning they used it not IE) and they still managed to infect their computer. ;)

I don't really care, because IE 7 works great for me and FF is prtety good too. I find FF is better for older PC's and IE 7 seems good enough for newer ones.

Exon said:
Missed my point Sarah, the infected default firefox browser statement...

What I meant was the clients had FireFox installed, it was their default browser (meaning they used it not IE) and they still managed to infect their computer. ;)

Ahh! I see, your saying security is not an argument to move to FireFox. I agree with you. I think it really is just a preference war at this point. Which ever you prefer, just like different computers, e-mail program, keyboard, software, mouse etc.

I certainly don't try to move over my non-tech family members and friends. For one reason, that is so they don't call me for help! They already think I know how to solve every computer problem. Don't need them calling me about something else. :banned:

Sarah I'm glad there's someone else out there that doesn't try to impose FireFox on everyone.

I can see the performance stance, that makes sense. I can see the plugins, but don't tell me FireFox is better than Internet Explorer because of Security Reasons.

I still want to test leaving FireFox and IE7 open to the same page overnight and seeing which one steals more memory.

Well nice question ...I use Firefox as it comes along with inbuilt Google search,page rank and many other features and moreover its fast tooo.......