Internet is a real jungle full of Jivaros

hided_cluster

Hello

I think I should tell out about my experiences using the Internet. This could help lot of newbies ...

I got firt connected to the net in Belgium in December 1994. The Backbone was still smelling like new plastic and I think I was the Belgian Internet user N° 15 or 16 ...
It was funny ... counting bauds and listening to the modem's noises to see if it percuted or not ...

Form 1944 to 1996 the thing was great and friendly ... I do remember some french jerk that started a company called Ebay and saying that he would overulle the world ....

Then it started to turn out like a big sweming pool with thousand and thousand of sharks fighting to dead to eat anything and to even to kill the one who would not have followed the "rules" ...

In 1995 when you sended an email ... your started your text with hello how are you and the answer was about the same ...
Today your send an email and the answer is ... what is your Credit card Number, do you own a house, is your wife nice ...

The deal in the late 90's was to find a web hosting company ...
You started with a human who was doing anything to catch you ... He would have sent you his wife to make sure you would signup ...
When the sign up partu was done the human turned into a computer and started acting in a binary way ... like "sorry we don't do this for you" "your are not allowed to do that" or better ... "your account was suspended because ...."

Today ... they say that over 2.5 billions internet users are online ... probably 2.3 billions Internet Web Hosting sellers, 0.1 billion Internet Web Space resellers and 0.2 billion users and webmasters that are trying to find a way out of this mess ....

You will never be ripped off on the Internet but in fact .... just turning on your computer and connectinf to the Internet starts the ripping ...

Being not intirely idiot ... I did quickly find the way to make money during the 1995 1996 years. Sex, Hobbies, Hollydays.
I started a sex site and to make sure that I will make a lot money I coupled it with a little "java" into one warez website ...
Getting then about 600.000 to 750.000 hits / day I used this traffic to illuminate the deal on payed advertising and sended some 10.000 to 15.000 visitors to the trougth the payed link wich was giving 0.15 $ / click ...

I did money ... yes I really did a lot of money but ... I burned out 1 webserver (inetu.com) and was burned out to ... while I got the bill and had to pay over 30.000 $ for bandwidth usage ... for 6 months ... (it wasn't a problem because I was making about 25.000 $ / month) but anyway ...

I became even the 1st European Webmaster to run a website that was top10 world ranked with over 750.000 hits / day.

The best of it is that I had a website that was 25 MB, with only 200 sex pictures ...
Unfortunatly the partner (warez site) had a car crash and was killed but before this he could sale his website to the advertising company for 150.000 $.

Internet is a really dangerous game when you don't look at awhat you are doing ....

During these 10 years I have also tested several web hosting companies.
I saw the good one and also the bad one ...

Just to say that if you spend 15 week to create a website you should spend twice as much to find out a real web hosting company.

My last try was www.hostdime.com .... hell what a loosers band ...

I have a double website that is 75% archives and 25% sales plateform ...
The archives part is actually over 35.000 webpages and a little more than 105 Gigs ...

I am also searching for a place to put this online but I am asking me if this is not simply better to create a web host company or to buy a company or whatever ...
I really don't know ...
I found this forum while searching with metacrawler and I am keeping the search on ...

In 2005, my website served 7.5 millions webpages but this website was only the try of the real thing (25% of the datas online).
I think that the site complet will deliver 12.000.000 to 25.000.000 webpages for 2006 with 50 to 60% of the datas online ...

Now try to imagine the answer you get when you ask a webhost about pri ces for this .... 'the last one .... at rackspace ... price may vary'..

I would really happy to hear what you think about

Thanks

Gunter / Belgium

You could always: http://www.turnofftheinternet.com/

On a serious now.. you will obviously require more than just shared hosting. Perhaps consider a host that can build you a custom system as well as tailor it to suit your needs and growth. Rackspace have a good name... but yes.. it's hard to quote without being sure of someones needs.

Form 1944 to 1996 the thing was great and friendly ... I do remember some french jerk that started a company called Ebay and saying that he would overulle the world ....
You are aware that the Internet wasn't around in 1944 right?

I agree with Joomla. If your web site is a business critical site and if you need full control over the server, a dedicated server or VPS meet your needs.