Is 24x7 Support Important to you?

EasycPanelHost

I don't know how some web hosting companies get away with saying they offer 24x7 support but don't. I have come across many companies that all clam the same thing but at the end when it comes down to it they are not there when you need them.

My question is if they have a live chat button on there site and I see there sales team offline, that is an immediate sign they are really not there 24x7. If a person is qualified to manage a server is he/she not qualified to sell a product?

Also how can a network be monitored if you don't have a staff 24x7?

An offline livechat button has no relation to whether a host has 24/7 support. We have two livechat buttons - one for tech support and one for sales. The sales live chat button is to promote Google Ads only, when running. Some organizations such as ours have separate technical and sales departments, so while the techs are qualified to sell, that is not their job. And while we are automating some sales processes, typical sales support is normally business hours - but not always. Nothing is locked in stone.

Support & sales are completely different, as Steve said. IMO "bank hours" for sales is just fine, support however must be there when there's a problem. which as we all know, can happen at any time.

But why not have techs online while your main sales is offline. Getting new customers is just as important as supporting existing customers.

Getting new customers is just as important as supporting existing customers.
Not all providers operate with that sort of priorities set in mind.

Unfortunately, when people read 24/7 support, they often don't intuitively make a distinction between it and sales, but there's nothing wrong with not having a 24/7 sales department, as long as such isn't promised.

As others have mentioned, sales and support is 2 different things. Ours for example do not have 24/7 sales however our support is available 24/7 via live chat support or ticket support as you really do not know when something can arise.

IMO, 24/7 support is more important.

This is my view on 24/7 support. My company provides 24/7 by ticket support. We do not have a live chat feature (yet) and so we use ticket support. I have staff members from all over. Three members of staff live in the USA, and two live in europe. So, basicly my staff can handle any ticket at any time.

My staff have done an outstanding job at answering a ticket within 30 mins to an hour of submition and resolving the issue within an hour to 3 hours of answering the ticket.

Many companies offer 24/7 support, but some actually have live chat set up for the client, or some are like me and have staff all over who can handle tickets at varies times.

Also, sales is diffirent than tech support so a company can not say 24/7 support if all they have online is a sales op.

This is my view on 24/7 support. My company provides 24/7 by ticket support. We do not have a live chat feature (yet) and so we use ticket support. I have staff members from all over. Three members of staff live in the USA, and two live in europe.

I agree and I label tech support in the same way the reason for this is that as I am across multiple industries both in and out of computing however if for example myself or anyone here for that matter who owns a hosting company starts to talk over server config in detail and command line we would probably be talking at a similar level knowledge wise or at least have common ground.

However what tends to happen with live support via phone as well as web based is that tech savvy engineers tend not to have the same skills as that of a sales person, by that I mean there are different strategies used as well as fine tuning something or what you are describing to that person. Of which i presume you are all aware.

A lot of tech savvy engineers I know tend to lack that ability in real time and those that are worth their weight in gold prefer to sit down and spend time on those 15 to 30 minuet responses that cover all the bases, not leaving the customer with “but how do I...?, what do you mean?, no I didn’t mean that!” are usually for most industries and especially phone based support, locked behind on an in-house secondary line to aid their sales staff in dealing with the more advanced issues to which again the internal knowledge board is of no use.

There are a few large companies that do this well an example being Apple Inc (in most cases) and O2 (British telephone/internet company) and there are hosts that do this very poorly and respond with ether 1 line answers or “I don’t understand what you mean by...” an example of these being UK2 and Hostgator both of which I have had to aid friends and businesses that know me personally who made the wrong choice before I entered the industry, and the first waited 4days for a response and the second received a 5 word answer to which was a well known excuse used by overselling webhosts.

Again support is key to any industry but there is a balance, I always love talking to a tech savvy support technician when I have to, and often when on the phone with O2 again using this example I am always placed directly through to a network engineer in the uk 24/7 if I ask for it and I have before discussed the entire network topology of south west England (I know I’m sad :p) as well as the different internal and external network layouts that would benefit myself and my business.

But never before have I know a company that offers that level of tech support but for an industry such as hosting a middle ground will suffice however waiting “a little” longer for a response is good if it is accurate and detailed enough to leave the user without question, otherwise your support needs to be very quick.

Ether method works to some degree, but I think ticket support is the most common and best practiced method around, correct me if I’m wrong but live support is always used for sales and very trivial support requests especially for larger hosts. Anything not quickly solvable is usually directed to ticket support.

Just my :twocents:worth but its an area that sets smaller hosts apart from those larger oversellers within the industry

It is always good to have 24*7 chat support for tech side, so that emergency issues like sites down, unsuspension of domains ( for billing issues) etc can be handled quickly.

It is always good to have 24*7 chat support for tech side, so that emergency issues like sites down, unsuspension of domains ( for billing issues) etc can be handled quickly.

If there's going to be this much trouble whats the use of hosting there? Its best if we don't use support often. That gives an idea about the reliability of that hosting provider. Anyway 24/7 support should be there. Its really important for clients.

If there's going to be this much trouble whats the use of hosting there? Its best if we don't use support often. That gives an idea about the reliability of that hosting provider. Anyway 24/7 support should be there. Its really important for clients.
What? I'm not following your reasoning. At first it sounds like you're saying if a provider offers 24/7 support, it reflects problems with their service. Then you say providers should have 24/7 because its really important for their clients.

Of course, you don't want to have any issues, but the mark of successful businesses in any industry is how well they response to and resolve those issues. Having 24/7 support is certainly a plus.

Of course 24x7x365 technical support is important. Obviously you hope that you will never have to use it but technology is not perfect and I feel that is a weak area. Don't get me wrong there should be 24x7 support without excuses but if a router goes bad and has to be replaced, well; those are the breaks.

I think if your clients are happy 99.9% of the time they will deal with downtime if need be. These loyal customers are what ever web solutions company was founded on and no one can tell me different. Once you obtain the client you will fit there needs. You e-mail them, live chat with them or perhaps call them on the phone. Taking 10 - 20 minutes out of your day to make sure an issue or concern is resolved correct the first time will make a lasting bond between you and the client. You always remember those people for example a waitress that went out of her way to make your restaurant environment pleasant. Or returning and item when you lost the receipt but they returned it anyways. I think the same hold true for web hosting companies. People remember this stuff - its a fact!

YES YES YES!!!! Even if you have someone answer saying we are working on your problem is better the not replying at all...

Communication is key in any issue. Just knowing that someone is aware of a ticket that you opened is a great help to many clients, even if you can't fix it right away.

We have 24/7 staff which are actively working on various tasks from system setups, upgrades, sales and tech support. Our live chat however is usually only available from 7am CDT to 8pm CDT. This covers both the East Coast and the West Coast business hours. Ticket suport is handled the rest of the time.

Sales, support and emergency are 3 different things.

Emergencies are handled first - ALWAYS.
Support is handled 24/7 also, but if an admin is working on other things, those support tickets can take up to 4 hours to resovle.
Sales are low priority tickets after hours. Our focus is keeping existing customers happy, and THEN work on generating new sales. There's no point bringing new customers into a broken environment - you'll just lose them too!

Communication is a vital tool, and while the Live Chat has served us well for the past 8 years or so, it's ment for sales and quick answers for tech issues. Anything that requires head scratching or more than 10 minutes to resolve, we advise customers to enter a ticket so we can work on the issue, and trend it to see if there is a bigger issue building.

Agreed... Always let the client know what's going on... Even if it is jsut the canned - "We are working on it and will update you when its done" - However that is also the quickest way to piss a customer off (pardon the language) always be personal :)

Anyway back to the topic :D

We have 24/7 support in the sense of a minimum of 1 member of staff watching over the helpdesk at any one time (Everyone here also has iPhones connected upto Exchange).... That way we get to most tickets and get a reply made within 5 minutes.

Because we also have management contracts with the Data Centre we can then forward L3 requests onto them to handle and update the tickets accordingly :)

Like Conor said - Communication is key. The quicker you can respond to a client who is in trouble the less chance you have of loosing it and if that means responding to a ticket at 2-3 AM then so be it :)

Of course 24x7x365 technical support is important. Obviously you hope that you will never have to use it but technology is not perfect and I feel that is a weak area. Don't get me wrong there should be 24x7 support without excuses but if a router goes bad and has to be replaced, well; those are the breaks.

I think if your clients are happy 99.9% of the time they will deal with downtime if need be. These loyal customers are what ever web solutions company was founded on and no one can tell me different. Once you obtain the client you will fit there needs. You e-mail them, live chat with them or perhaps call them on the phone. Taking 10 - 20 minutes out of your day to make sure an issue or concern is resolved correct the first time will make a lasting bond between you and the client. You always remember those people for example a waitress that went out of her way to make your restaurant environment pleasant. Or returning and item when you lost the receipt but they returned it anyways. I think the same hold true for web hosting companies. People remember this stuff - its a fact!

Of course 24/7 supports is a must. Its the responsibility of the hosting provider.

Sales not being 24x7 is by no means an indication that support is not 24x7.
When in doubt, I think its best to ask them directly what part of their customer care is 24x7 and what isn't so everyone is on the same page.

Now, if they are claiming 24x7 support and not providing it, I think the work would get around soon.
If that's the case, searching around for reviews should help.

Sales not being 24x7 is by no means an indication that support is not 24x7.
When in doubt, I think its best to ask them directly what part of their customer care is 24x7 and what isn't so everyone is on the same page.

Now, if they are claiming 24x7 support and not providing it, I think the work would get around soon.
If that's the case, searching around for reviews should help.

I agree, many hosting companies sales department isn't 24x7 including myself. A good way to test is to send an e-mail to a company just to see how fast they respond :)