Is FreeBSD any good?

winnopeg

I'm actually just asking this out of curiosity than anything else - I have no server to use it on but is FreeBSD (FreeBSD.org) any good? Can it compare to Windows or Linux?

I have never actually used it however I have heard very good things about it, it is a linux based o/s btw.

Whelp, asking us if it is good won't do much for you. Just buy a $50 machine from someone who is selling an old box and run it. Then answer your own question! ;)

We prefer FreeBSD over other BSD and *nix distro's. More stable and secure in my opinion. As TheReason suggests, dig up that ole 386, pop it in and take it for a spin!

Never dealt with it.. nor used it.. But i guess that its not that bad since some of my friends have used it and they have good feedbacks on it.

AlexF said:
We prefer FreeBSD over other BSD and *nix distro's. More stable and secure in my opinion. As TheReason suggests, dig up that ole 386, pop it in and take it for a spin!

I have to agree, I have had fairly limited experience with the OS but from what i've seen and read about it I have to say it looks good,