Is there such a think such as free VPS?

Avuntia

Is there such a think such as free VPS? I have been pretty curios. I have seen a couple of sites however what are the catches on them???

I agree with Gaby. VPS gives much more possibilities as compared to shared hosting and involves hardware and software setup, therefore - it should be paid for. First month can be free, but this service is paid, without doubt.

To be honest, there is absolutely nothing free in domain and hosting industry and we all know that.

Definitely there are free VPS hosting provided by many such companies. But they are usually not preferred as they come with very limited services. Their customer support is also not always responsive as compared to paid VPS hosting. There are numerous downsides of free web hosting.

Yes, there are a few out there, but I'm sure they all come with blacklisted IP's and heavily abused. I know I wouldn't run a website on one.

Hmmm why do we discuss "free VPS" here. "Free" is not something that means business. It would be a complimentary offering, but one was supposed to buy something first. A quality Virtual Server is quite expensive to produce. Even if one creates a Virtual environments on old servers and just allows some folks to use a VPS for nothing, there are still costs involved.

I just wonder why one would need to use a Virtual Server which is not properly managed. Who'd risk their business?

I think Most of company provide Free VPS for the First month and for the recurring you need to pay

I can't think of a single company that offers a free VPS for the first month. A VPS has significant costs especially if it is fully managed, needs licenses (cPanel etc). Offering it for free just does not work out.

There's a whole forum devoted to free VPSes: freevps.us

Yes, you can get a free VPS provided you post there on a frequent basis. It's like the old "post to host" web hosting model. Presumably, the forum owner pays the VPS company (in advertising credits or cash) and then makes money on the advertising dollars.

None of those VPSes is fully managed or comes with cPanel, etc. But then lots of people don't need those features.

Most of those VPSes can be had for $15/year or at most a few bucks a month - never understood why anyone would go through the monthly hassle of posting in a forum considering how cheap a VPS is these days.

Nope, as per me no one can provide you with free VPS server. It might be free for some days for trial but definitely not free.

Someone, somewhere has to pay for this, so technically no.

But the same can be said with "free shared hosting", it's not free, someone is paying, whether it's a philanthropic host, or visitors to hosted site seeing adverts.

It's almost impossible to monetize a free VPS, as the host cannot even be guaranteed that you would be running a website on it.

In my opinion there is no such thing as a free vps, or free web hosting you "get what you pay for" or "don't pay for" in this case. Not saying there aren't any low cost providers but in some form it is not free. you will probably have very bad support and very unreliable service.

My suggestion would be look for a low cost provider if you want to save some money.

Nothing is free when it comes to web hosting. If you get something free there is always a hidden cost. Free domain (gotta buy a year of hosting), 6-months free (buy the first 6), etc.

Web hosts who offer amazing packages for a low price should be avoided as well as any host offering unlimited space, bandwidth or free hosting, vps or dedis. These kinds of host do not last long. Even big hosts that offer 200g space for $4 are not worth going with. These hosts put limits on your account and in the end you suffer.

You should always do your research and find a host that offers reasonable space for a reasonable price. These kinds of hosts are more likely to be around a year from now. As stjohns2004 said, "You get what you pay for" and I live by that motto.

Is there such a think such as free VPS? I have been pretty curios. I have seen a couple of sites however what are the catches on them???

It will surely have some hidden costs or may be made available for a limited period of time

Definitely they are having some kind of hidden charges and if not then they will charge the same at the time of renewal. Taking free hosting is not a bad idea but be ready to pay at renewal time. So I would suggest to go for Shared Hosting at starting at later on proceed with VPS Hosting.

I tried a 100% free vps a couple years ago

What an everlasting experience to never do again.!! :uhh:

kabe