ITU Approves Deep Packet Inspection Standard

attracthd

I don't know if you guys have heard about this, so here's a link for you: ITU Approves Deep Packet Inspection Standard Behind Closed Doors, Ignores Huge Privacy Implications

Personally, I think that even the fact that global bodies are discussing such "standards" as a viable option is horribly wrong. Even more infuriating is the fact that this whole issue isn't a priority for the mainstream media! The whole thing just leaves me speechless.
What are your (I hope more positive) thoughts on the matter?

So until now there was Deep Packet Inspection without standards, now there will be standard. What's the big difference?
All governments - communist, capitalist, eastern, western, democratic, dictatorship or all other types you can think of want to watch every step of their citizens and there is already technical infrastructure for this.

The big difference is that it will be mandatory for all ISP's to offer the means to do that which isn't the case now in some countries. Basically it's the big content production guys in Hollywood making it possible for them to sue out of existence/cut of Internet access to everybody they want to. The whole thing has nothing to do with security/anti-spam/anti-terrorism or whatever. It's all about the money they think they're loosing due to piracy. Anyway, I can rant all day about this, so I'll stop myself here. :D