Java - Irc applets headache, the search goes on... Aargh!

TheWebMistress

Over the last 24 hours Ive tried 7 different Java-Irc applets, and none of them work exactly in a way I need.

JPILOT - The best by far. Easy to customize, very fast to load and the features I need. Their website & all trace of them seems to have disappeared so I cant register my copy to get rid of annoying service message that appears inbetween typing in the chat room. How annoying.

COOLSMILE - I love this little applet, everything I need apart from one problem. It has no parameter in place for people logging in with the same username (example 'Guest') Other applets allow each same username to be denoted with a numeric character. Coolsmiles doesnt have this feature & because all accounts are called Guest by default people end up with a blank screen.

GOJIRC - I like this alot, but the config file has bugs meaning changes do not reflect when the applet loads. Very frustrating, I could have deffinately used this one.

PJIRC - Claims to be the best there is, all I can say about this applet is poor show. The applet needs an external php login form, is difficult to cordinate aesthetically, and I didnt join their help forum due to the ammount of threads I found with people receiving rude responses from the mods.

JWIRC - Same problem again. Buggy config which means the applet does not reflect the changes made, meaning I cant connect to the correct server with it.

SBOX - Didnt work, many errors.

SNIRC - Didnt work, a few less errors than SBox.

Being all open source its hard to find help on these applets so you have to make do with what you can find, apart from PJIRC, but their help forum isnt a particularly friendly place so you're screwed either way lol

So here I am still with no Java-Irc applet. If anyone has any info applets, maybe even the email address of the person who owned jpilot :D I'd be very grateful :)

Hi there webmisstress, sadly I don't know the chap that owns jpilot though we are involved with a number of online gaming radio stations. More to the point they all love IRC and as such they try anything to get it to work as you however as almost 99.9% of hosts disallow IRC to be hosted within their networks they utilise Quakenet (most common it would apear)

As such the following is used without issue by two stations we are involved with without issue... utilises both PHP and JavaScript (AJAX) hopefully it should provide you with what you are looking for :)

suggested AJAX client: http://www.qwebirc.org/features

I finally fixed it. I managed to correct the parameter in coolsmile so it works perfect. I finally have a jirc applet, I can now sleep :D