Just got here from WebHostingTalk

sodermalm

Just got here from WebHostingTalk. The only thing "host" about that place was "host-ile". Yeah my puns are crappy, but they ban people left and right for no particular reason so I am glad to see a good amount of new users here with good experience. Welcome to us

I moved your post into your own, I hope you don't mind.

Welcome to HostingDiscussion (HD)! I don't know how many members we have here from Sweden, so it is certainly a treat to have you here. I have only the funnest and fondest memories of your country when I visited it back in 1989 as a kid with my parents. It was my first trip abroad and I absolutely loved every second of it.

I hope to see you become one of our regulars. :thumbup:

Just got here from WebHostingTalk. The only thing "host" about that place was "host-ile". Yeah my puns are crappy, but they ban people left and right for no particular reason so I am glad to see a good amount of new users here with good experience. Welcome to us

Welcome to HD!

We too have been over at WHT since 2002 / have not been active over there for a while. (pop in every so often)

I made the choice to come over here and test the waters, I like the people and as well as the management here - so we are here to stay.

We too would love to travel to Sweden some day - I am 1/4 Dutch

Take care!

Dave

Hi sodermalm

Welcome to HD .. I hope you will enjoy and learn new things by spending time here like we do :)

I wouldn't say they're "host-ile" by any means, or that they ban people left and right. Obviously, you did something to get yourself banned. Just make sure not to do it here.

I've run across a few 'alerts' since I've been back doing the forum thing (a couple months), basically, reminders, saying
Don't do that

Nothing wrong there... In my 14 (eek) year run there, I've probably been banned (once), for disagreeing with someone @ corporate and not keeping my mouth shut. My own fault there. Other than that, it's pretty simple... Follow the rules, and you're fine

I am currently banned at WHT for creating a second username. I had lost access to that account and the email associated with it. I then immediately contacted support to let them know what I had done and why. Because I was honest and up front with them they banned me. No reasonableness at all.

The management staff here seems to be more reasonable.

I am currently banned at WHT for creating a second username. I had lost access to that account and the email associated with it. I then immediately contacted support to let them know what I had done and why. Because I was honest and up front with them they banned me. No reasonableness at all.

Never understood such treatment. A member is the most essential unit of a community. If someone is being honest and contacting you seeking help in rectifying such an error, because they clearly wish to continue their participation, you help. Give them a choice which account to keep and merge the other one into the original. Banning is just senseless in this case.

Sorry to hear you lost your account and welcome to HD!

While I think that might have been a bit (quite a bit) unreasonable, did you not see the helpdesk links plastered all over the forum?

There's no need to create another WHT username, especially knowing that it's against the rules if you lost your original one. Just use the email you signed up under to create a helpdesk ticket, and you're good

Breaking the rules is a pretty good way to get yourself banned from any community, honestly.

Thanks for your warm welcome, everyone. Feels great to see such a supportive and responsive community here. Glad to hear there are people here who have good memories of visiting Sweden. I love my country too!

I hope you don't think I am trying to complain about WHT, my point here is that this community seems very cool and I hope to be here for a long time.

Yes there were helpdesk links on the forum and I even tried to reach out to them, but I never got a reply. So I felt it wasn't worth the bother. I didn't feel good getting blocked from the site because I take pride in being a good guy on the Internet.

Thanks again for all of your greetings, and enjoy the rest of the week.

@LittleCreek it is very important for one to read, understand and keep to the Rules any community might have. Welcome to HD @sodermalm. I would suggest us to contribute to HD, instead of discussing WHT or any other forum here. Does it make sense to you guys?

Just use the email you signed up under to create a helpdesk ticket, and you're good

Breaking the rules is a pretty good way to get yourself banned from any community, honestly.

I agree with the last sentiment, except sometimes people make honest mistakes and it is the job of responsible community leaders to recognize authentic members who contribute value versus those that are there for promotional purposes or who always tend to bend the rules. But I understand that it is difficult to go the extra mile for every case in a community of that size.

Having said that, during the most recent password reset I realized that the email I signed up with back in the day was an old Hotmail account that is not even active anymore, so the helpdesk suggestion would not have worked as mods would not have been able to verify me. At the end of the way they still helped me and have done so pretty efficiently. But not everyone would always follow the same route, as everyone does things differently.

I would suggest us to contribute to HD, instead of discussing WHT or any other forum here. Does it make sense to you guys?

Amen to that. :thumbup:

I agree with the last sentiment, except sometimes people make honest mistakes and it is the job of responsible community leaders to recognize authentic members who contribute value versus those that are there for promotional purposes or who always tend to bend the rules. But I understand that it is difficult to go the extra mile for every case in a community of that size.
I think the moderators over at WHT are too busy to put that much attention into things.

I have a few friends that moderate over there and I hear all kinds of crazy stories about totally unreasonable people.

I don't have any problems with WHT personally. Hosting Discussion and WHT are the two forums I visit most frequently, and of course we all have our favorites.

I don't have any problems with WHT personally. Hosting Discussion and WHT are the two forums I visit most frequently, and of course we all have our favorites.
I like WHT. I just wish the content/threads were higher quality like they used to be.

I still do my best to be as helpful as I can be though and generally enjoy reading both.