Kb = ?mb

Yep, its 2 to the power of 10 = 1024

1024 kilobytes = 1 megabyte
1024 megabytes = 1 gigabyte
1024 gigabytes = 1 terabyte ... and so on....

If you're wondering why your 40 gigabyte HD only shows up as 37.2 in explorer its because hard drive manufacturers try to cheatya! lol
They define gigabyte as 1 billion bytes, as opposed to 1024 megabytes(which would be more than a billion). Hence the 2.8 gigabytes you get shortchanged!!!!

rambo6376 said:

Yep, its 2 to the power of 10 = 1024

1024 kilobytes = 1 megabyte
1024 megabytes = 1 gigabyte
1024 gigabytes = 1 terabyte ... and so on....

If you're wondering why your 40 gigabyte HD only shows up as 37.2 in explorer its because hard drive manufacturers try to cheatya! lol
They define gigabyte as 1 billion bytes, as opposed to 1024 megabytes(which would be more than a billion). Hence the 2.8 gigabytes you get shortchanged!!!!

i see .... should i sue them for cheating on me?? lol
:D

thanks again

1AsianChic said:
i see .... should i sue them for cheating on me?? lol
:D

thanks again

I wish! Next time look at the box for any hard drive. Somewhere on it, in tiny letters of course, I'm sure you will see their definition of a gigabyte. LOL. That's enough to cover them legally apparently.

Porky said:
I dont know why they have to go all complictaed with 1024. why not just do 1000

I guess they could. But because of the binary nature of everything digital I guess they went with 1024 because it is a power of 2. Although the prefixes kilo, mega, giga, I would think would be powers of 10 (10^3, 10^6, etc...) just like in the metric system...