KVM and IPMI

aagthosting

I have some questions. I found a supermicro motherboard that I can put in a server using the Intel Core 2 Duo mobile processor. The reason I want to use the mobile processors is because they use less watts. For an example a core 2 duo at 3.0Ghz uses 65 watts. Keep in mind that most processors at 3.0Ghz use about 100W. If I use the mobile core 2 duo my 3.0 Ghz processor uses 35W.

I have some questions about IPMI and KVM.

I know that IPMI 2.0 will simulate being on the console of the machine. I can reinstall the OS, put the server in single user mode, mount the cd rom on my desktop, etc remotely.

Here is my question. Is there KVM equipment that will enable me to simulate being on the console of the server without having to go to the data center?

What equipment do I need?

Do I need a PCI card for each box?

If I need a KVM PCI card is the card compatible with the motherboard (which board) or does it work with any motherboard?

I happen to know that SuperMicro has a mnotherboard for the Intel Atom and i7 with built in IPMI.

Some of my dedicated server will be core 2 duo. For these servers I need IPMI 2.0 or KVM. Through KVM I need to be able to log into the server in single user mode or reinstall the OS, go into the bios, possibly monitor bandwidth and/or condition of components.

Monitor bandwidth with KVM?

Cacti for that really.

Here is a quick one to KVMoIP.

What you need.

1) KVM Switch (router/switch)
2) SIP connectors (Server Interface Pod)
3) Standard Cat5 cable's

You should not really need anything to be compatible.

You plug the cat5 in the SIP, hook the SIP to the server (and switch of course), (monitor/mouse/keyboard) and then configure the IP and so on at the router / switch level.

This will allow you to mount OS's (well most) which is a virtual drive, you can boot into it from bios, and KVM allows you to access the server as if you were sat next to it, the whole boot process, including bios.

KVMoIP basically is, you with the server in front of you, with the only problem, of not being able to change hardware of course.

So overall I hope this settles that KVMoIP is a complete solution with exception of bandwidth monitoring (cacti) to your needs.

So yes, yes and yes it will do all you need :)

Ok now fedup of typing, hope this helps.

Heads up though, in the UK most KVMoIP switches are a good £200+ however in the US, they are around £50, for a nice cheapo.

SIP's are about £12 a piece.

And of course it will take 1U space if you get or need rack mountable switches.