Linux OR Windows?

Zi Hosting

Hi,

What do you like to use for Hosting on? Linux? What Distro? Windows? What verison?

I'm just interested, thats all, I personally host off Windows.

Nick

I use Fedora Core 1 on all my servers....I personally dont like windows for servers, it irritates me. I dont even like it on my computer ;)

Oh, ok. I learn't ASP ages ago, and I have never decided to go for Linux, due to this.

If my Company ever really sets off, I'll probably add Linux.

Nick

while we host on windows servers. i have heard that the quality of service on linux is great. although there is just so much that you can do with the platform. .... a lot also depends on the quality of services and support provided by the host.

Hmmm,

Interesting, I have noticed that Windows Servers arn't sutible for Free Webhosting, only Linux seems to have projects based on it.

Nick

TheReason said:
I'll take my sanity for $300 bob! Whoops I meant Linux!
LOL! Good one. Windows just isnt my thing...my idea of fixing my computer (Windows XP) whenit has issues is sticking in my OS Reload disk

cats-computing said:
Apparently CentOS works really well with cPanel. And from our experience it does :)
I may have to try it out on my next server. Is it much different that Fedora...Like command line wise. Because I know a lot of the redhat commands that might not work with centos...Gotta be sure of that before i make an os change on my next server.

Zi Hosting said:
Hmmm,
Interesting, I have noticed that Windows Servers arn't sutible for Free Webhosting, only Linux seems to have projects based on it.

You could do free hosting on them, but as they're generally more expensive it means you don't make as much revenue from adverts. By using linux you save money so keep more profits.

Same with me, all of our servers are Linux, but I use Windows at home, however I hear windows has better performance for gaming servers than linux supposedly.

AllureHost said:
... however I hear windows has better performance for gaming servers than linux supposedly.
It depends on the game really. I've found that games based on the q3a engine perform better on linux but the source games and bf2 run better on windows.

yeah that is all true, while linux is just a bit more scure, i personally think that the the ease of use of windows is lot better.. plus lets face it.. a lot more people use the windows platform than the linux platform and that once again brings us back to the point of familiarity of the environment :)