Linux or Windows?

Honestly, I prefer Linux on a server personally. It really depends on what your users will be wanting to run on it. Whether or not they are using windows-only programs on the server is the biggest factor that I have seen so far. However, I haven't dived into windows servers just yet, so my experience is minimal at the moment.

Most providers prefer Linux servers, but Windows has it's place - for those applications that run on Windows, but not on Linux.

Apart from user preferences you also have an overhead cost factor to consider as a reseller of servers.

For Linux you have

Mysql: Free
Anti-Virus: Free (but not nearly as necessary as on Windows)
Control Panel: Free to $25/mo depending on what you use.

For Windows you will be paying for:

OS licenses: $10 to $25/mo depending on server license
MSSQL License: $200+/mo Per CPU
MYSQL: Free
Possible Anti Virus Costs

You can pass these costs along to your resellers and them to their clients but you really can't mark them up much if at all based on the market prices so your total margin is smaller.

We do both but 90% of our servers are Linux. In this economy there is not much we are going to turn away, even if it is Windows ;-)

atjeu pretty much nail that question. Good post my friend. I use linux because of cost issues at the moment and like it better. Not a micosoft type of guy.

If you are thinking which to chose and the choice doesn'r matter for you go with linux
If you have some specific requriments which only windows web hosting can handle - so go with windows

We do both but 90% of our servers are Linux. In this economy there is not much we are going to turn away, even if it is Windows ;-)
And there's the reality of it - certain prospects require Windows apps.

Only use Windows if someone absolutely needs it. It is common for clients of ours to sign up for Windows hosting and have a PHP script that doesn't work quite well.

Only use Windows if someone absolutely needs it. It is common for clients of ours to sign up for Windows hosting and have a PHP script that doesn't work quite well.
So you're saying you have more problems with PHP scripts on Windows servers, rather than Linux servers?

There are several factors to make a choice:

Cost : Linux = Free , Windows = Never free
System Management : Linux = you need to be a bit geek
Windows = Mouse clicks can help via remote desktop
Application availability : Linux = huge and lots of freely available softwares. Windows = also huge but not many are free.

So when it comes down to the cost everyone prefers linux

I prefer linux, personally, but have no qualms with windows. It all depends on what you need. For example, if you're wanting to host .net or asp type applications then windows would be your best option afaik. PHP & MySQL is probably better suited for Linux.

I will always prefer Linux - we are a community helping each other. The more people use it the more and more goes into development based on our feedback.

I have no problems with Windows software or paying for it provided they are on top of their game if they charge you for it.

In my opinion, if you are not going to use Microsoft proprietary software (Access, msSQL, Frontpage, ASP.NET) then go with Linux as they are proven to be more reliable and secure.

As above, only use Windows if you need ASP or Access, etc, though I wouldn't agree with the Frontpage bit, hoping that dies, I've removed it from my packages totally.

Making the choice completely depends upon the compatibility of the application and the security you are expecting. for the security purpose i would suggest for LINUX, as far as the compatibility is concern Microsoft products rule the software industry and to make the application perform better you can go for the windows. Also managing window is easier that the linux

I have to admit that I have never, ever worked on a Windows-based server but that is due entirely to the fact that even considering it caused my colleagues to hurl horrible facts and warnings my way when I brought it up :D

For Windows-only apps a Windows server would be necessary but, until I come up against that need, I'll be sticking with Linux exclusively.