Linux Servers Vs. Othersw

jmatos

What has been your experience using Linux servers compared to others. Pros and Cons would be nice. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Linux is more flexible and usable to my mind. Surely it can't run the ASP applications or MS SQL, but it is even not necessary. I try to avoid using windows everywhere it is only possible.

@Exmasters-Mark

Somewhat I agreed with you, but not totally. In my opinion the only concern issue with Windows web hosting solution is pricing factor. For an instance. If I am a customer and willing to use ASP and MS SQL, then I will have to pay for licensing cost, that's it. In addition user can use PHP and MySQL on Windows server as well.

On the other hand Linux is an open source platform and don't required any licensing cost (RHEL is an exceptional case, as it requires subscription fees) However, if you are going to use Linux platform, then you'll find many Linux web server hosting security tweaks. Overall, I can only say there are no disadvantages with Linux.

Paullopez have right advice, As linux is free platform which have open source tool to upgrade which would cost efficient too. Many user switch to linux server because of the cost factor only as other server have the same functionality but in some different order only.

What has been your experience using Linux servers compared to others. Pros and Cons would be nice. Thanks :)

Linux come in many flavors. All the flavors of Windows come from Microsoft, distributions of Linux is from from different companies (i.e. Linspire, Red Hat, SuSE, Ubuntu, Xandros, Knoppix, Slackware, Lycoris, etc. ). Windows have two main lines. The older flavors are referred to as "Win9x" and consist of Windows 95, 98, 98SE and Me.

Linux has Greater security Linux is having greater security over windows.

Regards,

<Signature must be added through user profile settings and not manually added to posts.>

In my opinion, Linux is the best OS to have on a server. It is easily manageable, flexible (you can develop your own commands to operate it).

The best feature is that it is very secure. You do not need any anti virus on it.

We prefer Linux for stability, uptime, and flexibility. Windows requires reboots for many configuration changes, which means that your site will need to go down. We find the command line easier to work on than the Windows GUI. The Linux shell is very powerful--for example, it lets us script commands to perform batch operations. Last but not least, Linux has a variety of free software that would otherwise cost money for Windows.

Sometimes, I was wondering why Microsoft charging for Windows licensing cost when they are well known about the importance of the price factor to the small industries. Perhaps they really don't care about small entrepreneurs.

Open source platform is a clear advantageous point for Linux, but just imagine if Microsoft announce Windows OS and its relative applications are free of cost. Then which OS would you like to choose?

Well, Microsoft does not care about prices because their product is mostly used in world. Although, they can not compare with Linux in stability and security but yet they have a great GUI understandable to ordinary people.

While, Linux is only preferred by technical people and on server side. Obviously techies are far less in number than ordinary computer operating people.

So, today Microsoft Windows is a basic need and organizations have to buy it.

Linux is an open-source operating system.
The pros and cons of using Linux are-
Pros:
* Cost - Linux can be downloaded for free or very cheap from various internet sources.
* Stability- Programmers all over the world can see the script and spot problems. Bugs get fixed much more quickly than with proprietary providers.
* Security- Linux’s system is much less vulnerable to viruses.

Cons:
* A steep learning curve- Linux can be difficult for beginners.
* Some software won’t work- Some software written for Windows or other won’t translate to Linux.

Yes, Linux is considered as a stable OS. Its more secured, easy to use, compatible and most important open source OS. It does not any additional licensing fees as Windows and most of the applications compatible with Linux like MySQL database is also an open source.

Linux as a free alternate to windows products, nonetheless inferior in quality of service. In fact it provides even better security and microsoft can offer. You may find it overwhelming intiially if you want to know the code level functionalities but its possibilities are endless.
To better explain its like Firefox Vs Internet explorer. You knew which one is better :)

Linux is more reliable and easy understandable and i think many features included instead of Windows and faster too so Linux is Better than Windows.

hi
linux is more people use and he is reliable and more companies use this so linux is best of other.