Linux VPS Web Hosting: It Is Fast, Cheap, and Easy

Chetanalpha

When you try to get your website hosted through a service provider, the first question they will usually ask you is about the platform on which you wish your website to be hosted. There are several platforms at your disposal here, but the best option for you would be Linux. Here are the reasons why you should choose Linux VPS web hosting over others:

Stable operating system with solid performance

Linux based web servers can provide superior performance while consuming lesser resources than most other platforms out there. Besides, Linux does not crash easily, and is naturally resistant to corruption.

Few viruses/worms

You will find some worms that can temporarily infect a Linux server, but those are usually gone as soon as the server is rebooted.

Easy to maintain

Lesser maintenance requirement automatically translates to greater uptime for your website as well.

Cheaper hosting

You may have to spend less than half of what you would have to pay to get your website hosted on Windows platform

I have to disagree with most of this post. You can't generalize Linux as being the best solution, and you can't suppose that Linux, by itself, is more secure that Windows or any other OS. Every server requires a good amount of configuration for security and optimization.

... but the best option for you would be Linux.
What if my site runs .NET or another language that requires IIS?

Stable operating system with solid performance

Linux based web servers can provide superior performance while consuming lesser resources than most other platforms out there. Besides, Linux does not crash easily, and is naturally resistant to corruption.
Linux will provide superior performance only if it configured correctly for your site. A bad configured linux server can have a very bad performance, and can crash very easily. The fact that you're running Linux doesn't guarantee security and performance.

Few viruses/worms

You will find some worms that can temporarily infect a Linux server, but those are usually gone as soon as the server is rebooted.
Big NO. If your site got infected or compromised, a reboot will not clean it. The vulnerability is still there and will be there until it is corrected.

Easy to maintain

Lesser maintenance requirement automatically translates to greater uptime for your website as well.
Having a secure Linux server require high maintenance. New vulnerabilities are discovered daily and every admin needs to make sure that his/her server is not vulnerable.

I have to disagree with most of this post. You can't generalize Linux as being the best solution, and you can't suppose that Linux, by itself, is more secure that Windows or any other OS. Every server requires a good amount of configuration for security and optimization.

What if my site runs .NET or another language that requires IIS?

Linux will provide superior performance only if it configured correctly for your site. A bad configured linux server can have a very bad performance, and can crash very easily. The fact that you're running Linux doesn't guarantee security and performance.

Big NO. If your site got infected or compromised, a reboot will not clean it. The vulnerability is still there and will be there until it is corrected.

Having a secure Linux server require high maintenance. New vulnerabilities are discovered daily and every admin needs to make sure that his/her server is not vulnerable.
I couldn't agree more.

Linux or Windows is a choice depending on the customers' needs.

In general, you can say that Linux is the better choice if no special requirements are present.

Out of the box Linux with Apache will perform better and will require significantly less resources than Windows will.

Hello,

.NET can be run under Linux environment with apache mod_mono module.

But in general, the hosting type depends on the clients needs. For example, If the website requires MS SQL databases Linux platform is not acceptable.

Regarding the security, my opinion is that Linux platforms can be secured better than Windows.

Hello,

As everyone in here clearly states that linux and webhosting has its on ups and down, but sometimes people choose a linux server because there is wrong concept that linux never get a no virus (in the view of a newbie).

Hi Chetanalpha,

I hope you'll get back to this thread and that you did not created it just to get your signature at the bottom of your post. This doesn't work. Most people who need a VPS usually know what they are looking for. These that don't would ask questions.

It is not me who'd be saying what kind of threads you;d open, but the opening thread is just talk... See this - "Linux based web servers can provide superior performance while consuming lesser resources than most other platforms out there." - it is just a waste of time to say things like that. Your suggestions do not work for someone who needs to use Windows server on top of Xen or KVM virtualization for example.

This - "You may have to spend less than half of what you would have to pay to get your website hosted on Windows platform" is also just talk. I'm not big fan of Windows, but a server edition license does not cost a lot. The costs of any VPS depend much more of the web host's infrastructure, network and virtualization management technology, than the OS used on the virtual instance.

Last edited:
I would have to agree with HostColor. And it really all comes down to the competency of the server administrator.

If you're a shoddy server admin, it doesn't matter what OS you use it's going to be open to attacks because you aren't plugging security holes.