Linux Vs Windows

For most users it would be Linux. Windows hosting is quite a niche market as it is usually the big businesses or some specific softwares that require it. Linux is the most commonly used OS in web hosting environment, especially for end-users. Unless you plan on targeting Windows hosting customers, I recommend reselling Linux web hosting.

I have to agree windows does tend to have a niche market

linux is widely used by most hosting providers for it's native PHP support, The Cpanel Control panel.

joe

Linux is better option because of cPanel, more security and stability. Windows is needed only for asp.net compatibility as for me

In my opinion Linux is the way to go and is the most popular. Also, be sure to use cPanel for better stability like said above.

That Linux is "more stable" or "more secure" than Windows is an old myth. It wasn't true in the era of Windows 2000-2003 (IIS5-IIS6), and it certainly isn't true now in the era of Windows 2008 (IIS7).

If anything, there's far more malware and "rooting" abilities for Linux servers, as compared to Windows setups.

Linux has created a cult for itself along the lines of Mac in recent years ("Macs don't get virus, duh" in your best dullard voice impersonation. Think of Moose from Archie comics.)

There's only a few actual truths:
- Windows cumulative licensing costs more.
- Windows needs more resources. (512MB-1GB more RAM.)
- Only Windows can run true ASP, ASP.NET and MSSQL.
- Linux is not "free" to run, there are still many costs with various apps.
- Windows IIS7 FastCGI PHP works as good as or better than Linux PHP, thanks to Zend.

Use what you need. It's that easy. :)

I prefer linux. I think linux is the best and most commong OS for hosting.
Linux is more stable and lighter.
But it really depends on what you want it for. Linux can not have .asp pages.
It depends on what you want your website for

Linux hosting is cheaper when compared to windows hosting, however the domain of clients for linux hosting will be less because of lack of support to all popular Microsoft applications.

However linux is more flexible when compared with windows hosting

I personally would go with Linux. It all depends what you know more of, and if you have a bias opinion as well. It's easy to use cPanel and great security is what won me over.

Although I have never used Windows my choice would still be Linux, if only because it's the most commonly used. I like cPanel which is a Linux web management system because it is easy to use and understand.

Indeed cPanel is easy to use for end user but if compare linux hosting with windows hosting I would say both are equally important as it is really depends upon user's requirement what exactly they need.