Longest running host

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

Does anyone know who the longest running host is?
The longest running as in the date their start commercial hosting.

Great question, I know many hosts have disappeared, maybe Yahoo, MSN or Earthlink, sheesh that is a tough question

That's an interesting question actually...

I don't know the answer, however it would be very interesting to see who is the longest running web host ever.

However, I think it'll be very difficult to actually find out this sort of information.

I agree with Anjay.
Also, I don't believe yahoo or msn or any of these companies are the earliest.

They provided isp services not hosting at first so there may be others.

Also, I don't believe yahoo or msn or any of these companies are the earliest. They provided isp services not hosting at first so there may be others.
I too would guess that there'd be others that started offering hosting services prior to Yahoo and so on.

Microsoft was the first one I remember.
Microsoft offer web hosting?!
Never knew this. I always thought that they provided programs for your computer such as Windows, Office, etc. etc. - Do they really offer web hosting?

See who can find the longest running according to their site anyway...

aplus
their customers have enjoyed extremely stable, ultra reliable, personalized web hosting since 1995.

That's from their site.
See if you can find one from 1994 or older :)
I'm sure there are a lot others that are older.

I didn't know MS ever offered hosting either.

They have such a simple site for being out so long.
They don't really have any details about their services and the company itself.
If you read the pages the normally only have a few paragraphs.

They have such a simple site for being out so long.
Simple is better. Just because you've been out there a long time, does not mean you must have a flashy website like the templates from Template Monster. The website should have enough information on the company, and their services, and you should be able to get around the website easily - It shouldn't be there just for flashy looks and to show you how much they can pay a designer to design a website, or how "cheap" they are to get a template from say Template Monster or 4Templates.

The website for my company is currently being designed by in-house designers, however I've made sure that it isn't some flashy Template Monster type design. I don't see why webhosts are trying to get more and more "in your face" designs. The design should look nice, however shouldn't be OTT. It is mainly there to inform you about the company, and their services. Nothing more, nothing less. (Or at least that's what I think)

I've just had a look at host1's website, as already stated a nice simple design and easily navigable. All the information you want on the company is easy to find. :)

I wouldn't like a flashed up site that takes me 5 minutes to go through the whole site waiting for it to load up.

Re: ..

CharlotteHost said:
Not ture, Host1 was opened in 1998, look at their whois, the name was first registered in 1998.

The whois is not a reliable indicator of how long someone has been in business,

Click on the "web hosting since 1993" and it will take you to their old website.

There could be many factors why the whois record only says 1998.

Here in the UK if you want to reliably know how long a business has been running you go the companies registrars website.

I think being as you are running a hosting company you would know this.

Yes the website may have been in exsistence since 1998, that was not what was being discussed, it was how long has someone been webhosting for, not how long they've had a website up.

They could well have been called a different name in 1993.

They havent been webhosting since 1993 then have they...
ZDNet owned the site since 2002 untill 2003. They didnt do webhosting on it.
So no, they didnt exist in 1993, and even the link on their site shows archive.org as 1997 december 28th to be exact.
Network solutions showed them as registering the domain name on January 7th 1998 so go figure.
Point being they were not here in 1993.
And yes, Network solutions was their registrar.

Status
Not open for further replies.