Looking for hosting industry data

foerster

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone knows sources for the following kinds of data:

*Number of customer each hosting company has. I'm NOT looking for number of domains registered. That data is available, though patchy. What I haven't been able to find, and perhaps it's not publicly available, is number of customers.

*A fairly comprehensive list of parent companies and their subsidiaries and/or resellers. There's a bit of data on parent / subsidiaries. For example, if you check the wikipedia page for Endurance International, all their subsidiaries are listed there. But there's no comprehensive list I can fine. Perhaps more difficult is a list of all resellers and who they "resell" for.

Thanks.

Hi all,

*Number of customer each hosting company has. I'm NOT looking for number of domains registered. That data is available, though patchy. What I haven't been able to find, and perhaps it's not publicly available, is number of customers.

*A fairly comprehensive list of parent companies and their subsidiaries and/or resellers. There's a bit of data on parent / subsidiaries. For example, if you check the wikipedia page for Endurance International, all their subsidiaries are listed there. But there's no comprehensive list I can fine. Perhaps more difficult is a list of all resellers and who they "resell" for.

Thanks.

I doubt you will find this and a majority of hosts would not tell you if you ask.

A lot of hosts resell for other companies though a white label so that you as a client are not aware they are resellers, so why would they do this and then admit publicly they resell. some parent companies will have publicaly their list of brands and other wont, but i dont think their is a comprehensive list of such

definitely wont be able to find this but some places sell databases of defunt web hosts with general consumer data. I dont think that would be useful for anything besides spamming though.

Hi all,

Thanks.

If you find a source for that information, let us know, but I won't be holding my breath. :D

Hi all,

Thanks.

You can learn the number of domain using webhosting.info services . Follow the instructions:

1) Register on the site
2) Go to Web Hosts.
3) Enter the hosting domain in the Search for Hosting Company Reports field.
4) Choose Company Website, then click Search ( see attachment 1)

In the Search Results list, find your domain and click view report ( see picture2)

This window shows a summary table with changes in the number of domains by hosting.

We need a more detailed table. For this, click Gain by Transfer in the left menu. Find your domain in the Search Results list, and click view report.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 2-1.gif
    2-1.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 2
You can learn the number of domain using webhosting.info services . Follow the instructions:

1) Register on the site
2) Go to Web Hosts.
3) Enter the hosting domain in the Search for Hosting Company Reports field.
4) Choose Company Website, then click Search ( see attachment 1)

In the Search Results list, find your domain and click view report ( see picture2)

This window shows a summary table with changes in the number of domains by hosting.

We need a more detailed table. For this, click Gain by Transfer in the left menu. Find your domain in the Search Results list, and click view report.

Not all hosting companies are listed with webhosting.info. I know 100% ours is not

Hey everyone - just wanted to say thanks for the input on this. I guess I'll just need to keep searching.

@Collabora - definitely a coincidence, and no relation to Forester research. Though I'm honored my question is good enough that you'd think that.

@suppoB, @easyhostmedia - I've actually been through webhosting.info in detail, and that's the data I'm using now as one proxy for "popularity." But as easyhostmedia points out, not all hosts are included there. I think webhostinginfo uses some kind of mechanism to search and count nameservers, so somehow I'm assuming companies that don't appear are using some nameservers that are not distinct, perhaps because they're resellers?

@easyhostmedia - is that the case with yours? Even that would help me understand why some host aren't appearing on webhostinfo.com.

Thanks again.

Hey everyone - just wanted to say thanks for the input on this. I guess I'll just need to keep searching.

@Collabora - definitely a coincidence, and no relation to Forester research. Though I'm honored my question is good enough that you'd think that.

@suppoB, @easyhostmedia - I've actually been through webhosting.info in detail, and that's the data I'm using now as one proxy for "popularity." But as easyhostmedia points out, not all hosts are included there. I think webhostinginfo uses some kind of mechanism to search and count nameservers, so somehow I'm assuming companies that don't appear are using some nameservers that are not distinct, perhaps because they're resellers?

@easyhostmedia - is that the case with yours? Even that would help me understand why some host aren't appearing on webhostinfo.com.

Thanks again.

I run my own servers and have std ns1 and ns2 nameservers. even if my company was to suddently appear on webhostinginfo without my permission then i have them take it off their site.

Just on a side note: it is in fact 'Forrester', and 'foerster' could be taken as the German word for hunter.

The information you are asking for is a privacy concern if I may say so.

You also won't find resellers for what company because no reseller wants to out its a reseller.

Not at all, hosting companies does not publish their clientbase in public

it is exactly the same as the OP is asking for a place online to where hosts publish their clientbase etc, which as you say and other state they dont do this, so its just like someone asking for your CC details and CSR which again is not published for anyone to access

Actually I have not heard of companies who would tell us how many customers they have. Maybe some would give some rough estimate but not really those confidential type of information :)