Migrate from Go Daddy

rmgflorida

About 5 years ago I built a simple web page for my golf group to go to to see handicaps, news, events, etc. (www.weekdaywarbirds.info). I am not a tech guy and building this sight was tough for me.

NOW Go Daddy tells me I must redo my sight (by the end of June) to fit their new system (or pay them to do it)!! What poor customer service!!

Is there a web hosting site that makes it very easy to migrate from Go Daddy? With little effort on my part...

Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I do not want to stay with a business that treats their customers as Go Daddy is treating me!

I am sorry to hear about the issues with GoDaddy. To be honest, I am quite surprised at their request because I don't see anything out of the ordinary on your website. Can you perhaps copy/paste exact message from them? What new system are they referring to that their clients must fit?

Literally, any shared hosting provider would not impose any structural systems on their clients. As long as you don't break Terms of Service, you should be happy with any of them.

We have an extensive marketplace where hosting providers (members of this forum) post their promotional offers in. Virtually any of them will be happy to assist you and gain you as a client:

http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/shared-reseller-hosting-special-offers/
And there is also a Showcase of the kind of providers you need:
http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/shared-web-hosting.php

Still, looking forward to more details of GoDaddy's request of you.

screenshot

Here is a screenshot of what I received from Go Daddy. I called hem and they confirmed I had to redo the sight (pick new templates, etc.)

Attachments

• Go Daddy.png
    Go Daddy.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 13
Can't really make anything from that png, it's not readable.

Looking at the site, it does seem to be rather dated, but I don't see why that would cause them to force you to move. That's just unprofessional.

You might look into, as Artashes said , some of the providers here in the shared section.

When you get moved, also, you might consider moving to a more up to date platform, say, wordpress, for example. This should make your site look a bit less 90s ;)

While it is certainly difficult to read the attached screenshot (the image is too little), what I could make out is that it says "Your site is outdated" with the choice to "Upgrade" and "Skip" at the bottom.

Until we see it in better resolution, I have this theory. Be aware that GoDaddy is really pushy when it comes to additional products/services they try to sell. It sounds like they are trying to convince you to switch to their site-builder kind of product where you'd pay them more money and have your site rebuild using their templates. If that is the case, you can easily ignore the advertising and just continue hosting as you are currently doing it. Your site has no reason to be in any kind of trouble.

The PNG is not readable but I would find it strange that they ask you for a redisgn. Your website is pretty basic and almost every host shouldn't have an issue with it. I think you could engage them a bit further to know exactly what upgrade is needed or was done. If you decide to move however most hosts offer free migration especially if you are coming from cPanel to another cPanel host so it shouldn't be hard for you to get a host that offers free migration for your website.

I would also suggest rebuilding the website with WordPress, but the request they sent you, and 30 days to complete it...that's insane. Of course I bet them doing it will cost 5 times more, and there's people who won't have a choice.

That is an odd request.

I can't tell from the image but was there something specific they mentioned that your site is no longer compatible with?

It looks like this site was built with a GoDaddy website builder. IMHO, you'd be better off redesigning your site in WordPress and hosting it elsewhere, but that's just me.

all i see is your site is a basic HTML site, which would not cause any concern to any host.

I think they are trying to push you to pay for one of their site builder programs which they cannot force you to change too.

other reasons could be

1) What php version is your site using as it could be that. they may be upgrading their PHP that your site will not work with.

2) Was your site build using Frontpage as if it was they could be turning off FP extensions which Microsoft have not supported since 2009 as this would mean your site will not work.

Given FP was removed from cPanel way back in version 11.46, this is very unlikely.
yes FP extensions, put using FP as a HTML editor can still be used, as long as you dont have forms etc.
but you can still have a server that is using WHM old versions that would allow it, so it is still a possibility

yes FP extensions, put using FP as a HTML editor can still be used, as long as you dont have forms etc.
but you can still have a server that is using WHM old versions that would allow it, so it is still a possibility

Sure it is possible just very, very unlikely hence my comment.

Sure FP can still be used as a HTML editor but none of the features would have been working for a long time now (assuming GD keeps their servers updated).

Site seems to be simple html page and seems that might be created using Go Daddy Website Builder v6.3.2. May be that is a new marketing trick and you will pay them for new updated site.

Updating to latest is always good but may be you can ask a local developer as well to check and see if those really need an update. Normally no update is required for simple html sites and if needed mostly that might either related to SEO or some technology used in those.

I am not good in developing issues but you can confirm the same with the help of a developer or ask godaddy team to let you know why they say it is outdated

Solution

About 5 years ago I built a simple web page for my golf group to go to to see handicaps, news, events, etc. (www.weekdaywarbirds.info). I am not a tech guy and building this sight was tough for me.

NOW Go Daddy tells me I must redo my sight (by the end of June) to fit their new system (or pay them to do it)!! What poor customer service!!

Is there a web hosting site that makes it very easy to migrate from Go Daddy? With little effort on my part...

Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I do not want to stay with a business that treats their customers as Go Daddy is treating me!

Let me know following information, so I can suggest good hosting provider.

Is it website created by third party script like wordpress, joomla etc?
Disk space usage?
Your budget?

Awaiting your reply.