Most Unique Advertising Idea?

Hypnotique

What is the most unique advertising idea that you have seen a hosting company go through with? Creativity opens a lot of avenues in the internet. If you can find a way to be creative, unique, and advertise at the same time, you can definitely do very good in the long-term line of sight. I though about having a graphic skin and a van made to advertise locally. A moving billboard. :p

Google Adsense / Myspace.

I'm not sure which, but I do know of two hosts iPower, and something else popular is always seen on the Myspace Ad's Im not sure if its comes directly from Myspace advertising, or Adsense, but it gets the most hits I would imagine.

Hypnotique said:
What is the most unique advertising idea that you have seen a hosting company go through with? Creativity opens a lot of avenues in the internet. If you can find a way to be creative, unique, and advertise at the same time, you can definitely do very good in the long-term line of sight. I though about having a graphic skin and a van made to advertise locally. A moving billboard. :p
I have seen a few unique advertising banners for hosts and they certainly get *noticed* :D

Advertising locally using your van is certainly a great idea, if that is the area you are targetting. The local gossips will get talking and word will spread faster than on the internet :thumbsup:

The local market is one of the best places, in my opinion, to target. Also, hitting up the colleges around here would draw new customers. I would like to be known locally as well as online, however, if the two are combined there will be a lot of local word of mouth referrals online when they're talking to their friends in other locations. :)

That would be unique, as long as its a new type of event that nobody has heard of. If a company has the resources to launch a nationwide event, they should do it. It can only help gain new customers and have the company name known a little better in the public. Of course, unless a company is lacking effective marketing strategies.

Television Advertising. Havn't seen many Internet Based Companies advertise on Tv :p Maybe TheCW Television Network ;)

Marks said:
Television Advertising. Havn't seen many Internet Based Companies advertise on Tv :p Maybe TheCW Television Network ;)
Interesting thing happened yesterday. While driving I heard a web hosting ad on a commercial radio station that plays pop, hip-hop, r&b, you know, all the stuff that a commercial radio station plays. It felt VERY unique because this is the kind of ad you never hear on radio. While a lot of listeners might not know what the service provides exactly, it is also listened to by many thousands of business people and entrepreneurs, so in a way, thats very good exposure.

If you look at it in that aspect, it could easily be a company's weapon as far as exposure. As long as the name gets out there and people know of it, word will quickly get across. Not to mention how much your visitors count will begin to rise. I think they are definitely taking it to the next level, who knows, it may have worked out better than what they had expected when deciding to do this type of advertising.

i have seen a hosting company purchasing signatures on a fourum. This is not only done for getting few clicks to their website by also to get more link backs. I thought that was the most inovative and affordable way

Depending on your product or service, you need an USP that must be more valueable than your competitors. Also you need to understand how will your customers perceive the benefit of your product or service relative to the competition? Organizing a nation-wide events & trade show could be another good idea IMO.

bobchrist said:
trade show could be another good idea IMO.

I think the trade show route is a good way to go. When I was working for my last company I was sent to many trade shows, and I noticed that very few of them had webhosts. I know that the wire industry isn't really webhost material but at one show there was a booth that I stopped by and chatted with the guy for a while. He was there to provide a niche service to visitors. Basically he purchased an industry related name, set up a website, and offered hosting and a listing on his site. He also offered simple page design for an additional fee. He said that in one weekend at the trade show he would get between 20 and 30 new customers, with others that would contact him at a later date. He said that he did this for several different types of shows and that was all he did.

I have thought about trying it because there is always some sort of trade show happening. I think that tradeshes are a large untapped market if you can come up with a good plan to offer.