MS SQL, MS Access or mySQL ?

myLittleTools

Do you think MS SQL databases will replace old MS Access databases in all the Windows hosting plans in a near future ?

Can mySQL be an alternative ?

I havent used windows hosting before Im afraid, been using linux for years.
The only database I would use now is mySQL simply because I have been using it for so long alreadyand havent really had any problems

GordyMac said:
Im guessing MS SQL is the windows version of mySQL?

No. Really no.
MS SQL (Microsoft SQL Server) is a real DBMS, a competitor of Oracle. Maybe PostGres SQL could be compared to MS SQL but not mySQL. But i stop here ! I really don't want to start a troll ;)

More and more windows web hosts propose MS SQL databases. A few months ago, it was very hard to find MS SQL hosting with an affordable price. In the meantime, some hosts now propose mySQL on Windows 2000/2003 hosting.

Thus, it seems that this is the end of MS Access databases in "cheap" hosting plans. Will it be replaced by MS SQL only ? or mySQL ? or both ?

Ahh.. right.. I think I understand.. It might end up being replaced, hard to say really.. especially replaced with what..

myLittleTools: Interesting question. I've seen over the past recent months that a lot of Windows based hosting companies are picking up MS SQL instead of using MS Access as their default database's. This has caused a temporary price jump for windows hosting. It should go down soon though.

I think MS Access is a thing of the past. However some companies will continue to use it because it would be a hassle to upgrade and import all the old information.

I think you will see Linux based hosting stick with MySQL and windows based hosting with MS SQL. Microsoft has a nice monopoly on windows software eh??

Vovex :

I agree with your analyse.

Just to complete your view, i think that MSDE has been released especially for that. It's now easy to install MSDE on any development computer and to use it in order to "simulate" a real SQL Server during the development process.
MS has also released a developer edition of MS SQL which only costs $49.

You're rite : MS Access is a thing of the past.

More and more, web hosts will pick up MS SQL instead of MS Access. Cool for my tool ;-)

myLittleTools said:
Do you think MS SQL databases will replace old MS Access databases in all the Windows hosting plans in a near future ?

Can mySQL be an alternative ?
There are windows web hosting companies which are using MS-SQL,MySQL and MS-Access. I don't think MS-Access will get replaced by MS-SQL. There are many people who would still like to use MS-Access.