MSN Messenger 8.0 will have Yahoo Integration

ashish

Hey all,

Yes, its finally gonna happen, MSN has announced that its new messenger program to be released in the first qurter of 2006 will allow users to talk to people who use Yahoo messenger.

some other features that might be included in the next version could be: (rad this from another site :) )

Change of Messenger Skins
? Real-time Emotions
? Messenger Built Internal Windows Media Player 10
? Pause/Resumed File Transfers (File Blocked Extension Applied)
? Detailed File Transfer (Download/Upload Speed)
? Animated Display Pictures (.gif .jpg .png (File Support under Consideration))
? Mood Status
? Faster Contact List Loading and scrolling
? Public Profile and MSN Spaces Combined
? More MSN Space features
? New Hotmail and MSN Messenger Integration
? Downloadable MSN Messenger on Mobile
? News Updates according to Location
? Top 10 MSN Music Radio
? New Stylish Notifier Pop-up
? Downloadable Skins for MSN (Contact Window & Conversation Window)
? Complete Integration with Windows XP? & Windows Vista? Codename: Longhorn?
? Offline Voice/Message Machine
? Animated Buddy Icon Helper
? Display Picture Ratings

also there were invitations to be a beta-tester for this, however there are none left anymore.

Thanks for the info. I myself will stick to using a multi-messenger client (Trillian) and this will give me further excuse not to use MSN (people can IM me on my Yahoo Messenger account - woo hoo).

Hmmm...Well, I must say this would be nice as I hate having to open up Yahoo because its sooo damn slow. But, why would microsoft integrate a competing product

well i pesonally use all IM's but i like googletalk and msn a lot easier to use and so am really looking forward to this release.. i did try out the beta at a friend's place and its very nice :)

This sounds interesting - but I don't like some of the stuff that will come with it. Oh well, if I don't like it then I just won't upgrade - I only upgraded to 7.5 a few days ago :p

Yes, that is a great feature - I wish everyone had that.

Though it gets annoying when you have people leaving you messages and you didn't want to talk to them in the first place ;)

This is great news for me. Everyone I know is on Yahoo except one not-so-computer-literate friend who is on MSN and I cannot get her to switch over. It is pain loading both.

Libby

Where I am EVERYONE uses MSN - nobody's heard of anything else, exept for a few people that saw Google Talk, but they've never heard of Gmail, so they don't use it ;)

It's amazing how IMs vary by location :p

That's funny! I never thought about IMs varying by location. Everyone I know uses AOL or Yahoo (except the one friend mentioned above).

Libby

the main reason ppl use msn is tht windows messenger comes bundled with the windows OS, so nobody has to download any extra s/w...the same goes with IE, it comes by default, and ppl who have not heard of anything else, have to use it

Maybe, but I actually prefer using Yahoo messanger over AOL or MSN. I don't know what other messangers are out there.

Libby

Well there's Google Talk, ICQ, Jabber or whatever.. There's lots out there, just nobody uses them.

And the Windows Messenger thing isn't true - here at least. Everyone has MSN Messenger 7.5 - Windows Messenger is simply a myth.

winnopeg said:
Where I am EVERYONE uses MSN - nobody's heard of anything else, exept for a few people that saw Google Talk, but they've never heard of Gmail, so they don't use it ;)

It's amazing how IMs vary by location :p

yeah i guess that is also a factor sometimes.. i mean at my office a lot of the people use MSN...