My Host List and Ratings

dvduval

I've been hosting many sites for myself or my customers since about 1999. Here is a list of the ones I have used with a rating next to them. I am not taking the time to write a detailed review of each right now, but here they are:
WestHost (7/10) - good support, and good prices. Proprietary control panel.
Site5 (9/10) - good prices, awesome hardware and performance, decent customer service, and some cutting edge offerings (Ruby, Flashback).
HostGator (9/10) - good prices, awesome hardware, very good to excellent customer service
Page-Zone.com (5/10) - fairly dependable in terms of uptime, but customer service lacking
Polurnet (no rating) - I just started with them, but about 7/10 so far.
Pair (7/10) - great hardware, proprietary control panel, good to very good customer service. Been around for a long time
Hostway (5/10) - pricing not all that exciting. Proprietary control panel. Good customer service.
Hostdime (7/10) - great deals on fully managed dedicated servers. Decent hardware but could be better. Good to very good customer service.
Dreamhost (7/10) - good prices, good hardware. Proprietary control panel a little hard to get used to.

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Some nice extensive information - could you clarify how you rated hardware though? Is this a reference to system performance?

Thanks for the ratings, dvduval. I'm curious though. With site5 having a 9/10 rating, why would you have decided recently to leave them for Polurnet? It would certainly take a lot to get me to move away from a 9/10 host.

Vito

vito said:
Thanks for the ratings, dvduval. I'm curious though. With site5 having a 9/10 rating, why would you have decided recently to leave them for Polurnet? It would certainly take a lot to get me to move away from a 9/10 host.

Vito

I did not leave them for Polurnet. I have about 150 domains hosted across several different hosts.

Site5 was unwilling to move sites for me. Polurnet did that for free. Host Gator also did up to 20 for free.

And site 5 lost at least a half point today when their server crashed for about 5-6 hours.

Westhost rating

DrDuval,
Ive been considering Westhost because they use VPS at excellent prices for my personal website. Can you please elaborate why you gave them a rating of only 7 out of 10?

dvduval said:
Pair (7/10) - great hardware, proprietary control panel, good to very good customer service. Been around for a long time

I would have thought Pair deserved a higher rank. Did you have any specific issues with them?

Thanks for sharing with us your reviews!

Regards,

Jaime

Form those you listed I like most Hostway even their prices are higher. Otherwise some of the companies you posted are ok for Budget class hosting some are not very popular.

cheers

whpalex, please read the forum rules.
This thread is not a request for hosting and this is not an advertising forum.

Why would you want to embarrass your company by spamming a public forum?