My SQL?

tomdickandharry

I lalready hae a real host and everything, but just don't have any My SQL included. They charge to much $$.

Is there anywhere I can just pay for a My SQL database and not the whole hosting and all?

Thanks,
TDH

If they charge too much money, why don't you just switch hosts?

I believe MySQL is run on the server, so you would have to pay the hosting provider if you wanted that MySQL database.

Well cuz i prepaid (got a good deal) so I'm good until 2010. And I had no idea when I started 5 years ago that I'd even be attempting running anything serious.

Anyway I found this.

http://www.freesql.org/

But I'm always leary of the FREE stuff. I mean how long can it really be free. And I saw one more neat thing but I can't find it. I'll post later if I do.

Thanks,
TDH

And I also found these dollar a month guys. Not sure about them. It's not really hosting. It's just getting your own PHPBB board and they serve it for you. Can't be used for regular hosting just a PHPBB forum. But still not bad for thse who just wan't a forum. But still never used them before so I don't know.

http://www.ezforum.org/

Thanks,
TDH

Ok, I went around, asked some friends and managed to cut out this sort of thing:

http://www.hostengine.co.uk/shared-hosting/shared-mysql-hosting.html

Here, a very decent hosting company, renowned in the industry for being pretty expensive, but provide a very good service. Their services (I have heard) are top notch and their PR at Google appears to be quite high.

The Free MySQL host you spoke about earlier, would probably be sufficient for you needs, but if you plan to have a Forum or a MySQL-powered website, it wont serve you well. The chances are that their servers are highly volatile and as you can see from the page on the other end of that link above, they do have data refreshes and mistakes do happen. Thing is, I doubt there is backup falicities and thats a problem.

You could also just ask a friend who happens to have an account with someone else whether their server will accept incoming MySQL connections. If you were in this country with local traffic, I would give it to you, as its very little server strain and usually not a security risk. But I'm only on a VERY VERY slow 128k piped link and my servers struggle with international traffic already.

Good luck finding a host who can suit your needs,
~Equinox

If you just want a free forum, I recommend you look into HostedBB.com. I'm busy working on a totally new site design for them, but the setup is quick and easy and their current site does work. You can also look forward to huge benefits from HostedBB.com as we extend the services they provide, to include teh new PhpBB 3.0.x forums, which we intend to be the first to launch.

Go and take a look,
~Equinox

I don't like free and dob't know anybody else who hosts anything. I need my own thing I can use on my own domain with no limitations I can administer.

But I'll find some place. There has to be.

Thanks,
TDH

I have to say that I'm shocked that you paid for hosting until 2010. I would definitely be skeptical about that. They might just take your money and run someday. But to stay on topic, you could try to ask for a refund for the unused portion of your term and switch to a host that allows MySQL. It's worth a try. Good luck!

I'm with Arizonahost and they've beem around sinse 1999 so they aren't going anywhere that soon. And the domain is not going anywhere until 2009.

Besides just for the SQL it's not worth the refund. Everyting else works and they've answered all my support questions. And 99% uptime. And it's 2 and a hallf dollars a month basically including 15gb of bandwidth. And Windows 2003 hosting, not unix/linux.

No body else is going to provide me 15gb of bandwidth for under 3 a month.

Thanks,
TDH

TDH, I'm looking at Arizonahost's website (http://www.arizonahost.com/webhosting.asp) and their 15 GB Bandwidth package is not $2.50, rather $32.95. Can you explain this? Is it because you prepaid 10 years (which might not be the smartest thing)?

EDIT: It appears as though the 15 GB bandwidth package you are on includes free SQL.

Last edited:
It was called Lifetime account at the time. But not lifetime. Only 10 years. But still not bad. 300 for 200mb or 500 or 500mb. I got only 200mb by mistake. But still not bad for only 300. So devided by 10 years it's like 30 a year or 2.5 a month.

And the lifetime plan does not include any SQL.

Thanks,
TDH

Nobody does for a month to month basis right?
I am sure a lot of people pay for hosting monthly. It is impossible to predict the future and determine whether your host will go out of business or whether you will have a bad experiences that makes your opinion of the host worse. When choosing a host, I would recommend paying monthly at first. Then, if you have had exceptional experiences, perhaps you should pay yearly. But, in my opinion, pre-paying for ten years is a little risky.

But even without prepay who provieds that cheap?
You may find a host that oversells their resources offering services for unbelievably low prices. In addition, there are hosts that offer one-time payment, which I would advise that you do not go with.

Last edited:
No I mean now if I had to find somebody new. There's is no body that sell like hosting for under 3 a month with 15 or more GB of bandwidth and at least 200MB of space is there?

Or is that underselling too much?

Thanks,
TDH