Nagios Installation Issues...

athomas

Used this guide to install the latest Nagios: http://www.kernelhardware.org/install-nagios-on-centos-5/

This server is on CentOS 5.6. When running /sbin/service nagios start in su mode, I get "Starting nagios:CONFIG ERROR! Start aborted. Check your Nagios configuration." When I run /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg, I get an error saying basically check your Nagios config file to make sure it has the correct info...when I never even altered it, and the manual didn't say to alter it. Can someone give me the correct nagios.cfg file for the latest version? No verbose errors are given, just a general "check your config file" error.

Any input here? I mean I followed the guide....

Used this guide to install the latest Nagios: http://www.kernelhardware.org/install-nagios-on-centos-5/

This server is on CentOS 5.6. When running /sbin/service nagios start in su mode, I get "Starting nagios:CONFIG ERROR! Start aborted. Check your Nagios configuration." When I run /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg, I get an error saying basically check your Nagios config file to make sure it has the correct info...when I never even altered it, and the manual didn't say to alter it. Can someone give me the correct nagios.cfg file for the latest version? No verbose errors are given, just a general "check your config file" error.

Any input here? I mean I followed the guide....

I would check the config file, it by default includes some lines which hook up other config files such as hosts.cfg and services.cfg and if those files to not exist, it could cause that issue. They are in the first 10 lines.

You can comment them out with a hash or make the files, let me know how it goes or paste your config file here.

I would check the config file, it by default includes some lines which hook up other config files such as hosts.cfg and services.cfg and if those files to not exist, it could cause that issue. They are in the first 10 lines.

You can comment them out with a hash or make the files, let me know how it goes or paste your config file here.

Thanks. I'll paste my config file here when I get home tonight. As far as I can tell, everything that is commented out is for folders in /nagios/objects/ that has not been created, for things like printers, and etc.