namecheap jacking up prices?

Harry

anyone else get the email?

In light of that decision, NameCheap.com will be adjusting its pricing on
Sunday, October 14, 2007 as follows:

.com domain renewals, transfers and new registrations: Old pricing $8.88, new pricing $9.29 per year
.net domain renewals, transfers and new registrations: Old pricing $8.88, new pricing $9.29 per year
.org domain renewals, transfers and new registrations: Old pricing $8.88, new pricing $9.29 per year
.info domain renewals, transfers and new registrations: Old pricing $8.88, new pricing $9.29 per year
.biz domain renewals, transfers and new registrations: Old pricing $8.88, new pricing $9.29 per year

ldcdc said:
There's a reason for that:
Well I don't get why godaddy and namecheap are the only ones changing their rates? Personally, I don't have a BIG issue, but they could have still lived with the same price and made a profit.

Namecheap hasn't raised their prices in years and they absorbed the "tax" that ICANN put on domains a few years ago.
I have no problem with the price raise. Domain registrars have a right to make a profit too.

It's not that only Namecheap.com and Godaddy.com have risen their prices, all the domain resellers have done it. Directi has done the same, you may not have noticed it, as it's possible that not all the domainers have reacted to it.

This is because the one's who have rights to the domains Verisign for instance (I think) have requested a price increase from ICANN and it was accepted. As such all those under them have to increase their pricing structure.

NameCheap.com always doing coupones. Every month. Just look for them and you get some discount.
NameCheap.com's prices keep being cheap enough.

Namecheap and GoDaddy are not the only ones to have raised prices. eNom for example did the same a few weeks ago. Most eNom resellers will follow suit if they have not done so already. Of course a few might absorb the increases.

The spate of price increases was caused by the ICANN increase of fees earlier in the year,

I guess most of the registrars increased their pricing as Verisign price increase + another few cents to their pocket. Even a few cents increase mean huge profits for the large registers such as Godaddy or namecheap. However as some one already mentioned, I do agree that every one have a right to make a profit out of any favorable situation ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sus123